What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I separate a rosetted Sundew?

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
How do I separate this rosetted Sundew without killing both plants? I'd like to re-pot them. As they are now, they're too ugly to keep this way...

It split into two about 6 months ago. If I mess up separating the rosettes, will the plant(s) spring back from the roots? Thanx,

Its a pretty straightforward process.

Pull out the plant and seperate the media off the roots. Once you have most of the media off gently begin pulling the crowns apart. I find that a spray bottle set to stream works well to help untangle the roots. Just keep pulling and spraying untill you have individual plants. Once you have them apart simply pot them back up like you would any other plant.

Do not freak out if the existing leaves never produce dew again. Its pretty much inevitable that they will be damaged in the process.

Oh yeah.. did I mention that this would be a perfect time for making leaf cuttings? Drop a few fresh leaves in a jar of pure water and place under a light source.. in a couple weeks you will have a whole bunch of baby sprouts to pot up too.

Good Luck
Steve

Well, I never could pull the two crowns apart, they had fused together in growth. :( And yet had two separate roots systems.

Since all that leaves were dewless and pale, they were too unhealthy to try leaf pullings. However, I did have plenty of healthy roots to play with... I made like 6 root cuttings and potted them up in 3 different pots. :)

I re-potted the two siamese-mother plants and removed all the dead and sickly leaves.

I seem to have better with root cutting strikes than leaf cuttings. Oh well............

I once ordered a small spatulata and then in the mail I recieved the healthiest spatulata I have ever seen they were shipped in a cup to protect there leaves and the soil was taped down and they even had there dew,there were about 20 plants in a 2 inch pot.
I seperated them.
but I have never had to pull a plant apart I imagine they should be fine though.

I once ordered a small spatulata and then in the mail I recieved the healthiest spatulata I have ever seen they were shipped in a cup to protect there leaves and the soil was taped down and they even had there dew,there were about 20 plants in a 2 inch pot.
I seperated them.
but I have never had to pull a plant apart I imagine they should be fine though.

Hmm...by any chance, were the people who sent them to you be from California Carnivores? Becuase that's where I got my D. aliciae (and my 5 sarracenias).

Back