Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. binata question:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question D. binata question:

How long does it take the multi-fork D. binatas to produce their multi-fork leaves?

I ask this because of the two D. binata multifidaís Iíve purchased from different online vendors, both turn out single-forked leaves (T-form).

Iíve grown these young plants for a year now and no multi-fork leaves.

Does it take several years to produce multi-fork leaves or what?

AND, what about the ĎMarston Dragoní hybrid? Several years on this one as well??

***Iíd love to find this hybrid, I hear it is a vivacious grower.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure we're dealing with time, per se, but more being a function of having decent growing conditions that are stable. So maybe a good year for a plant to mature, plus several months of good lighting and not being moved around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    Iíve grown these young plants for a year now and no multi-fork leaves.
    How small are you talking about?

I've got some mature plants overwintering in the basement under weak lights and they have multiple prongs. However, I have trouble believing that 2 different nurseries hosed you. The fact that you're saying that they're still 'young'plants makes me believe that you haven't given the plants good growing conditions and let them mature...

If possible, acclimate to outside full sun in the spring and they'll probably have mature growth in a month.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    How small are you talking about?
    The fact that you're saying that they're still 'young'plants makes me believe that you haven't given the plants good growing conditions and let them mature...

Well, that's what I am thinking too. That's why I stated that they're young plants.

Hard to guess their age... I can make a guess on VFT's by the size of their bulbs but with a stringy mess (roots) like binata it is kinda difficult to gauge accurately.

The oldest one (I'm guessing...) is 2-3 years old perhaps? The babe binatas (from root cuttings) are single fork too. (but they're young of course...)

They all get good light and growing conditions. (growrack with T5's) Color up nicely and are consistently dewy. They throw up forks left & right yet never a hint of a multi-fork....

That's why I thought age might be an issue. Either that or the vendors sent me mis-identified plants.

***Andrew, are you gonna carry D. binatas??
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a binata from Jefforever and it only forked once and then in about a week or two it started forking multiple times,maybe it's your conditions.

view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My multifidia goes from fork to multible forks depends on the light and temps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah just make sure you have the right lighting and temperature than you should have no problem growing em.
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even my seed grown D. binata multifida extrema plants have multiple forks after the first season. D. binata dichotoma leaf cuttings started to make their 4 point leaves in their second season as well. In fact every D. binata form I have started producing multi point leaves by the start of the second season. If this is the start of your second season I would suspect that you will have multi-points this spring.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast