Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stow-awa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stow-away

A few weeks ago, my dog and I were hiking through some woods near my house. Near a creek, there was an old rotted tree that had a bunch of moss (possibly sphagnum) growing on it. So I took a small sample of it. I placed it in the same container that I've been trying to nurse a purple pitcher plant back to health (got it real cheap at Wal-Mart). I looked at it today and I noticed a little stow-away was present. It looks like a round-leaf sundew, but I'm not sure. It also looks like it came from the sample of moss I collected, but it may have also come from the pitcher plant...I don't know.

Can anyone verify what type of sundew it is? Also, from the little research I've done, I've read that the round-leaf sundews are a little more tempermental than some of the other sundews. Any advice in nurturing this little guy? Right now, they are sitting in a plastic container that is filled up with pumice stones and water.

Below are the pictures of the little sundew.

Thanks,
    Dwight
    Last edited by boomfiziks1; 03-27-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo in the title

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude naughty naughty poaching cp's from the wild lol. That is pretty cool that you just realised it ws there...
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is that you don't give them too much heat and direct sun during the summer. 9 out of 10 Rotundifolias I got last spring died that way. Also, make sure they don't freeze solid in the winter. It shouldn't be hard to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So should I keep it in my little greenhouse in my basement and just use the lights I have them...rather than taking them outside?

Bianchi, I hope I didn't poach them. What's weird, if they did come from the moss I collected, these woods are no where near a bog. The woods are full of oak, ash, and maple and the soil and water are all wrong for cp's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a temperate Drosera with one of my Purps too.

I believe you should grow them outside, in a place that has morning sun. It's the afternoon sun that scorches them. For some reason, certain Rotundifolias seem pickier than some of my Darlingtonia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you picked up a seed or seedling by accident, then it is not poaching.

If you feel weird at all about it, you may return it to the wild and let it roam free the way nature intended.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin