Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: D. regia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of which, look how great the regia that you sent me is doing. Its growing like mad and look at all the bugs it catches even though its in a terraium. I have it growing at about 80F - 85 during the day and 60 - 70 at night with higher humidity.

D. Regina

D. regina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baylor,

Well I am in Atlanta so nights are all over the board depending on the season. But in the crawlspace where I grow this beast it is a pretty stable temp cycle of 75 days and 68 nights in summer and 70 days 60 nights in winter.

Ery,

Looking good
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ery View Post
    Speaking of which, look how great the regia that you sent me is doing. Its growing like mad and look at all the bugs it catches even though its in a terraium. I have it growing at about 80F - 85 during the day and 60 - 70 at night with higher humidity.
    Ery,
    Beware the higher humidity. Sometimes D. regia freak out in humid conditions...

This is another plant (like D. schizandra) that grows well for me all winter and then struggles all summer. I've got some ideas for a highland setup in the basement for this summer...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

future nursury owner...i hope CP_dude's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so glad that before i traded mine off i took 2 root cuttings...i really hope they take, mine were about 8" long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Ery,
    Beware the higher humidity. Sometimes D. regia freak out in humid conditions...

This is another plant (like D. schizandra) that grows well for me all winter and then struggles all summer. I've got some ideas for a highland setup in the basement for this summer...
    Are you sure? My D. Regia has bolted (doubled the size of it's leaves) once I put it in a 50 gal tank. I would think the humidity helped it. It even has less light in the tank and same temperatures than the windowsill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to recall that the two regias I had did not appreciate constant high humidity. I had leaves molding up and rotting rather quickly.

And I used a peat/perlite mix, which now I believe was keeping it far too wet. More perlit and some fir-bark for aeration next time I think............
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excessive high humidity can potentially lead to problems but it is not an absolute. I think so long as you give the media a chance to "air out" between waterings (which is why I let me trays stand dry for a few days before adding more water) the plants should be okay. It is more that it does not like "wet feet" and most times the high humidity comes about from closing it in a system where it is always resting in water. If it is out of the water table it should be happy. I have not specifically tried putting any of mine in "ultra" humid conditions but I would guess I have ranges from 20% up to 90% and all mine do fine.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is more that it does not like "wet feet"
    think that explains why i lost mine................
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast