Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 year old byblis gigantea seed sprouted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11 year old byblis gigantea seed sprouted

11 years ago our green house blew away in a very large storm, when this happened i quit collecting CP. About 2 months ago i found a large bag of seed stashed away in a refridgerator. The bag contained alot of petiolaris seed, several hard to get tuberous drosera, 4 forms of byblis and about 20 types of pinguicula. I looked at the bag and decided none of it would grow so i tossed it. I thought about it for a while and decided it could not hurt to plant it anyway. I mixed up my normal solution of GA3 and PPM and soaked all of the seed. I just looked today and i have a bunch of baby Byblis gigantea sprouting!! It is amazing that the seed was viable after being in a fridge for 11 years. Now for the question. 11 years ago there were two forms of Byblis gigantea, Perth and Eneabba, what is the Perth form called now?
    I hope the Byblis Darwin Red sprouts too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Enneabba form is now B. lamellata but I am not 100% on that (and I don't have my Lowrie list to double check... But I will when I get home.)
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seed stored dry in a frig can really last. A while back (actually a long while back), I planted Sarr seed that was approx. 10 yrs old. I planted quite a bit extra since I figured the germination rate would be horrible. Wrong. I ended up w/ many more babies than I knew what to do with... Hopefully I'll have similar good fortune when I start to plant some of the seed that I've been stashing for the past few years...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, THAT'S pretty amazing.

Maybe the 'fridge is better for keeping seeds than we first thought.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Pictures?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, dont you know Byblis gigantea are very camera shy as babies. The moss is twice as tall as the plants, i had to pick through the moss with a tooth pick to find em. I also noticed the Darwin Red are sprouting too. Now i wish i had not planted so many seed, i guess i will have to offer them on the trading post when they get a little bigger.

I am still unclear as to what the Perth form is currently called, i tried doing a little more research but could not figure it out.
    I also have several other packs of seed that list site locations and colors, i am going to have to name them by site and color, because figuring them out will be very confusing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is crazy!
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey S,

Found my Lowrie list but better still found my copy of Allen's CD with all his papers. I was correct in my recollection, the Enneabba form is now B. lamellata. The Perth form is B. gigantea (which, according to the paper, is basically confined to the region around Perth while B. lamellata is more wide spread.)

If you want, shot me those locations via PM or email and I will compare them to the Lowrie list (current and past) and see if I can give you the most likely candidate for each of them.

Cheers
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast