What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
I have several plants on the way, but perhaps the plants in which I know the least about are the following:

Drosera intermedia var. 'Mount Roraima'
Drosera graminifolia

Now I do know the basics... neither of these species requires dormancy and both can easily be grown under my 6 T12 artificial lights. My main question, however, has to do with the media. For those of you with experience in growing these bad boys, can they be grown in a 50:50 peat and perlite or should there be a different ratio?

As always, thanks to all of your CP fanatics out there!

Phil

Well, since no one else has posted, I'll take a shot. Since I only been growing CP's fro a few months, I'm certainly no expert, but if you look at my grow list, you'll see I collected quite a few, including D. intermedia. Mine is of the variety that did go dormant last winter, but you want to know about soil mixes. While there is always tweeking of soil mixtures for the advanced growers, being a novice still, all the plants I have are grown in a 50/50 peat/perlite mix. Some have a top dressing of LFS and I just starting to experment with some pings in live sphagnum. But I don't think you can go very wrong, except with some Neps maybe, with the peat/perlite mix.
Hope that helps.
Tom

Hello Phil,

I have experience with Drosera graminifolia. I grow mine in 50/50 peat and sand. The first one I ever had was grown in 50/50 peat and perlite with a top dressing of LFS. It doesn't seem real picky about the media. The plant seems to like a lot of light, but cooler temperatures. Mine stays a little too warm, causing the tips of the leaves to turn brown.

Here is a picture of my D. gram flowering from last year. Unfortunately I lost it due to the weather abruptly turning cold. It can't handle freezing conditions.

D-1.jpg

I've recently acquired another and it's staying inside where I won't forget to bring it in! :nono:

Crystal

Thanks for everyone's help. Looks like I'll probably do a 50/50 peat and perlite mix for D. intermedia and 50/50 peat and silica sand for D. graminifolia. Crystal, your media makes sense... I was reading an archived copy of the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter and it explained that the natural habitat for D. graminifolia was very sandy.

Phil

Back