What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Struggling Adalae

Hey Everyone,

I have a little mini bog that I made outside in my "Serenity Garden" which receives filtered light until around 11 o'clock in the morning. In the mini bog i have an Adalae, Capensis, and Aliciae, and these plants have been here for at least a month now. Everything seemed to be going fine until this last week when we had a SoCal hotspell of around 5 days in a row of 90-100 degree heat. Unfortunately, my Adalae did not seem to like it, and much of its dew is now gone (possibly evaporated?) except on the newest leaves which seem to be the healthiest. So anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if my plant is just going through shock and will recover. Also, I am planning on starting a small 10 gallons terrarium pretty soon for some Neps...do you think it would be a good idea to possibly move the Adalae in there instead of keeping him outside? So ya thanks for any replies!!!

Zach

In order for D. adelae to thrive, you need lower temps and very high humidity. I'd prolly move it to the terrarium if the humidity isn't very high outside. If temps are going to be in the 90s to 100s frequently, that is a little warmer than what Adelae prefers. Do what you can-I'm sure it will survive in the outdoors, but if you want it to be loaded with dew, then you may have to try something else.
Happy growing,
Aaron

D. adelae likes cool temps. If it gets above 80 degrees it's getting too hot for the plant in my experience. As for light and humidity, mine grows inside and gets bright indirect light afternoon to evening. Humidity average about 35%. Been growing mine this way about 5 years now.

not meaning to hijack this thread but my adelae hasnt grown since jan. i got it from andy and nothing has happened. its gets filtered light and temp is 70's to 80's with about same humidity in a window sill

D. adelae likes cool temps. If it gets above 80 degrees it's getting too hot for the plant in my experience. As for light and humidity, mine grows inside and gets bright indirect light afternoon to evening. Humidity average about 35%. Been growing mine this way about 5 years now.

IME, it grows fabulously in hot and steamy lowland conditions, too. I've never had it flower in those conditions, but to be fair I've never had it flower in any conditions :p

For me it sucked in a window whith higher temps and lower humidity. Once I moved it to my grow chamber in the basement where it is only about 77 in the day it's taking over.

Maybe the plant is in shock. Find one good place, like a window sill, and give it time to acclimate.

Sometimes D. adelae plants die back for no reason. But they regenerate from the roots very quickly. I bought a plant from a friend who grew it in his garden. The humidity was very high at about 70-80%. The plant died down despite me bagging it up. Apparently it hated leaving the place it was once doing well in. However, the new plants which developed from the roots are doing well as my balcony now, of 45-60%RH. The plant will acclimatise to new conditions, but without first reacting rather "violently". :-))

Back