What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Capensis Seed Storage Time?

I want to try growing D. Capensis from seeds, but I don't know how long they can be stored (or where) and still be able to grow. Does anybody know the answer?

keep it dry and in a fridge if not going to use. most seeds are viable for a year

Ok, I thought it would be really cool to have a big jar full of seeds, then plant a ton of them all over in pots :D. I don't fully understand why people say these plants are annoying, but I probably will soon.

I think you might have a few more plants than you could handle if you planted a big jar of them:-)) . (just a couple hundred thousand)

:D I meant a little jar. Ooh, wouldn't it be cool to have a little thing of seeds that will grow well together and label it: Mystery Seeds. Then plant them and have a surprise mixture of plants!

I love capensis, I'm starting a couple thousand seeds right now. I'm experimenting on them, seeing which ones will grow in plain ol potting soil.

from the time of the last plant setting seed it took me 2 years before i quite finding seedlings, removing them as i found them......so stored at 75 degrees and 50% humidity ill say they last 2 years.....stored cool in the fridge, 10-20 years would not surprise me...

i REALLY do like the looks of a well grown capensis but i WILL NOT EVER grow them in my regular collection in the basement ever again......they can live here at the office away from my other plants.......

is it possible to have so many capensis seed, you use the seed as a growing medium for other capensis?

lmao.

larry, that's a very interesting idea. let us know if you get any to survive.

Storage time? Never a necessity. They're like guppies!

Adorable things.... they breed uncontrollably!

Back