What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lanata, Help needed

I do not induce dormancy, I just act on it if the plant decides to o dormant. I have had some plants that have never gone dormant so I would say i is not a necessity for good health but if the plant makes the decision then it must be respected.
I agree that if you're going to keep the plant in roughly the same conditions / undisturbed - then you must respect the plant's decision.

However, sometimes it might be possible to change it's mind. A while ago, two of my favorite plants (2 different kenneallyi clones)(flower & plant pics here) were showing classic signs of progressing toward dormancy (shrinking leave lengths/size). At the time, I'd had zero success with any petios exiting dormancy. Not wanting my babies to die - I repotted the one furthest along and waited. Within 2-3 weeks, it showed new growth. I then quickly repotted the other. Both plants took off and grew like gangbusters. In addition, both flowered soon after they'd 'exited' dormancy. The only downside was since I'd staggered the repotting, the 1st plant finished flowering within a few days of the other starting.

Another well-known grower used to try all sorts of stuff to keep a plant from entering dormancy. Some that I recall: increasing heat (to 115-120*F), increasing light intensity (place much closer to lights), increase photo-period - I know there were others but I don't recall them now.

I'm not recommending / suggesting that any efforts be made to stop / forestall dormancy since it is a normal part of these plant's lives - and there can be advantages to this stage.

As an unrelated side comment: I've noticed that a number of folks, apparently motivated by the unique appearance of plants in this group, purchase some and then try to grow them without providing them conditions remotely close to those in their original habitat (aka: windowsill). With very few exceptions, almost everyone I've heard of using these conditions creates expensive compost. :scratch: :headwall:

okay pyro i'll update this in a few months once it starts to start growing again.

Back