What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lanata, Help needed

i have gotten a Drosera lanata and i did well for me but then i started acclimating it and it started to make the traps dry up and close,but was still green, then 2-3 weeks later the leaves are yellowish but mostly green. in the middle where the new leaves are it is still green but has smaller leaves what is it doing, i will try to post picks as soon as possile.

It sounds like it is dropping into dormancy. Let the media dry a bit before adding water again and only add enough water to keep the media just damp.

lanata's are kind of a pain when it comes to that, they can be very very pick for some reason and then be totally happy in the same set up just a couple months later... or at least that was my experience with them... you may also talk to jimscott I know he's got one going right now that he's been working with recently, you may see what his conditions are.

Mine seems to be doing well (red traps and dew-laden), under a Grolite, resting on top of plastic, holey thingys, barely in water, in a fishtank, with a submercible heater. I hope to get a camera this weekend and take a picture.

Oddly enough, though, after putting out about a dozen red, dewy traps, its most recent one doesn't have dew. So that has me a little perpelxed and dismayed.

Trust me, I feel like Edison, with far fewer attempts, with this Complex of sundews. Pyro, Homer, pingman, Chuck Lyons, Ron Lane,..... are the real pioneers and experts.

it is on a windowsill with little water and was doing fine in the zip lock bag i used to acclimate it in hope that clears up

Hmmm, you're growing it on a windowsill? It's been pretty chilly in the LA area lately, down in the high 40s low 50s F at night. Petiolaris complex are basically tropical and get unhappy if the temps drop below say 68F.

well it was still cold in the bagg and did fine

Maybe that's why it started to go dormant?

xvart.

yeah how long was it in the bag? I mean, it could take a while for the plant to show signs of stress due to temperature and whatnot.

Especially since petiolaris' have been known to go into dormancy by looking at them funny.

xvart.

Petiolaris complex goes dormant during the dry season (winter in northern Western Australia). Remember the seasons are "reversed" as you cross the equator

From what I can make out the area where Drosera lanata is found looks like the mean day temps during the dry season is in the mid high 80'sF and the mean night temps are in the 50sF.

During the summer (rainy season) the day temps look to be in the mid-high 90sF and night temps in the low 70sF.

http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/browse/map/3104

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_001025.shtml
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_001018.shtml

The advice I've been given on growing Petiolaris complex by pingman and others is to grow them as tropicals - high humidity warm temps (mid 70's to mid 90's F). I grow mine in a tank and the temps never drop below 72F.

Refer to Pyro's thread How I Grow Petiolaris Complex and pingman's excellent photo essay Petiolaris group in Dormancy

I may have tossed my ordensis and paradoxa too soon, judging by what Peter sadi about his falconeri. Trusting Petiolaris to come out of dormancy is like trusting your buddies to keep you from hitting the floor, as you fall backwards. Very scary!

For the record, the new trap that didn't have dew when it opened up yesterday morning - had dew when I cam home from work.

it was in the bag for 2-3 weeks and i pened it allitle each time

after looking at the pics from pingman it ids defenitaly going itno dormancy. when will it come back out of dormancy?

after looking at the pics from pingman it ids defenitaly going itno dormancy. when will it come back out of dormancy?

It'll come out when it comes out. There is no real set time frame. I have had plants that only go down for 1 month and others that will go down for 8 months. The best way to handle it is to watch it for new growth and once you see that start watering again and bump the temps higher.

While dormant, though, do you cease watering altogether or do you just do it sparingly?

While dprmant, though, do you cease watering altogether or do you just do it sparingly?

Not really as straight forward as all that in my set up... I guess you could say that it is water sparingly though. I do not remove the plant from the tank but I do elevate it on a styrofoam block so that when I water the pot is in only maybe 1-2mm of water. And depending on how long it takes the water level to drop before I add more th pot can be out of contact with water for 1 week to 1 month...

Sounds like you've had a lot of trial and error and now a feel for what to do. Do they need a dormancy, as do VFT's and American pitcher plants? should I go out of my way to indce it?

@ Jim,

I do not induce dormancy, I just act on it if the plant decides to o dormant. I have had some plants that have never gone dormant so I would say i is not a necessity for good health but if the plant makes the decision then it must be respected.

@ Poly,

Yes, best bet is to reduce watering to minimal amounts with significant gaps between waterings. Do not let the media get bone dry but let it get on the dry side of just damp.

Back