Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D. filiformis FL giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    From my understanding of it, D. filiformis Fl. giant does not REQUIRE dormancy but will go dormant if given the conditions to do so. I also would guess Sarracenia will do fine there.
    I believe this is a matter of confusing the 2 different forms of filiformis ssp. filiformis which are found in FL

The FL Giant clone does require a dormancy.

The FL red clone does not require a dormancy but will go dormant if the conditions are such that will trigger it.

I grow both in my bog here in Atlanta and they go dormant during the winters here.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, Pyro is correct. I guess it is common for these to be mixed up Here is what I just found on the ICPS site after some searching...

There are additional varieties of Drosera filiformis in cultivation such as the "Florida All Red" form of D. filiformis var. filiformis that does not require winter dormancy and makes an excellent terrarium plant. Also from the Florida panhandle is a "giant" form of D. filiformis var. filiformis that is larger than the New Jersey form but smaller than D. filiformis var. tracyi. This has been distributed as D. filiformis var. filiformis "Florida" and D. filiformis "Florida Red". It should not be confused with the "Florida All Red" form as it forms hybernacula and requires a cool dormancy.
    Thanks man!
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, they definitely will form a hibernaculum. See this thread on my "Florida Giant"

Note: I'm in zone 9-10 everything growing outdoors that should go dormant goes dormant.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks everyone!
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12