What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I...

...take leaf cutting of a D. capensis? Any pics or anything visual would help.

It's self-explanatory and the procedure for taking cuttings has been covered many times. Did you search?

Remove a leaf, including the petiole. Place on moist medium tentacle-side up. Wait.
You may also put them in a glass of water. Roots also work well.

Did you search?

Remove a leaf, including the petiole. Place on moist medium tentacle-side up. Wait.
You may also put them in a glass of water. Roots also work well.

I did, but for some reason, couldn't find a thread. What I was thinking about is that the long petiole and all, does cutting the petiole and getting just the pad with the tentacles and same procedures work as well?

Root cuttings work best from D. capensis. Snip off some of the healthy roots (usually black with white tips). Snip them up into 2 inch bits. Lay them out on some media (CP mix). Cover with about 1/2 inch off more media. Keep it moist under bright lights and in a few weeks plantlets should appear.

Root cuttings work best from D. capensis. Snip off some of the healthy roots (usually black with white tips). Snip them up into 2 inch bits. Lay them out on some media (CP mix). Cover with about 1/2 inch off more media. Keep it moist under bright lights and in a few weeks plantlets should appear.

Ok, but I don't I want to uproot my capensis and snip some root cuttings.
I still need to know if you need to have the petiole for leaf cuttings, though.

I still need to know if you need to have the petiole for leaf cuttings, though.

no. they'll pop up all over the leaf no matter what section it is, petiole or not.
some people just cut the leaf into 2" sections and place them on the media, where plants pop up all over.

Ok, thanks to all! I'll be taking cuttings tomorrow.

like CPlantaholic said, just cut a healty leaf off with or without the petiol and place it on some wet peat (probably works on water to but i haven't try that since it's very easy strait on peat). keep the humidity up and wait a week or 2. realy easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the leaf have to be healthy and have dew? I was just wondering because only the newest leaves have dew, the old ones don't have dew and their stem things have reddish color on them. I don't think they're dead because they have green on them. Would those old leaves work for leaf cuttings?

Does the leaf have to be healthy and have dew?Would those old leaves work for leaf cuttings?

as long as the leaves not completely dead, you can still have success w/ old leaves, whether they have dew or not. Granted, you won't have as much success as you would w/ a brand new leaf, and it may take a while longer to shoot out new plantlets in comparison to a healthy, dew-filled leaf.
happy growing,
Aaron

Back