User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D.Adelae growing deformed leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks to me like a repotted adelae....im surprised it didnt wilt away and regrow itself. how long have you had this plant?

mine does the samething except i have mine in the mini bog in full sun light and ive had mine about 4 months.

~billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Buy a magnifying glass and look for aphids. It's also good for spotting germinated seedlings.
    Aphids was the first thing I thought of because I had heard that they cause the plants to deform and I have checked it with a magnifying glass and I cant find anything on the leaves or in the soil.

Quote Originally Posted by billylh View Post
    looks to me like a repotted adelae....im surprised it didnt wilt away and regrow itself. how long have you had this plant?

mine does the samething except i have mine in the mini bog in full sun light and ive had mine about 4 months.

~billy
    Ive had this plant for over 2 months. It was in one of those small 1 or 2 inch pots when i first bought it. I didnt transplant it I just repotted it using the (Gentle Method) by moving the soil and the plant into a 4 inch pot without disturbing the roots.
    Whenever two man meet there are really six people present.
    There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other
    sees him, and each man as he really is.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant is green and producing new leaves. That tells me 2 things: it could use a little more light and it is at least alive. I think you should tweak the light a little and just give it time to adjust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    The plant is green and producing new leaves. That tells me 2 things: it could use a little more light and it is at least alive. I think you should tweak the light a little and just give it time to adjust.
    I have the four fluorescent lights about 10 inches from the plants and on 14 hours a day so I will move the light down to 6 inches from the plant and set my timer to 16 hours a day. Hopefully that will help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, after looking at the pics more closely, i remember 1 of my Adelae did that when I first bought it. In my case, it turned out it didn't have enough light, and it was not humid enough. After I gave it more humidity, even the deformed leaves got more dew on them. A few weeks later, the plant produced new leaves that had red on the tentacles and they were no longer deformed. I don't know what variety of bulb you have, but 1 cheap 4 foot walmart bulb and a more expensive ott-lite bulb. I gradually increased the light, but my plant is now sitting only 2.5- 3 inches away from the bulbs and was placed under a clear plastic cup for humidity. Many people have had trouble with keeping the plant inside something like this, and I think its because their temperatures are higher than what they are where I live (80-90 F normally). Good luck w/ your plant.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPlantaholic View Post
    yeah, after looking at the pics more closely, i remember 1 of my Adelae did that when I first bought it. In my case, it turned out it didn't have enough light, and it was not humid enough. After I gave it more humidity, even the deformed leaves got more dew on them. A few weeks later, the plant produced new leaves that had red on the tentacles and they were no longer deformed. I don't know what variety of bulb you have, but 1 cheap 4 foot walmart bulb and a more expensive ott-lite bulb. I gradually increased the light, but my plant is now sitting only 2.5- 3 inches away from the bulbs and was placed under a clear plastic cup for humidity. Many people have had trouble with keeping the plant inside something like this, and I think its because their temperatures are higher than what they are where I live (80-90 F normally). Good luck w/ your plant.
    I use four 48-inch 40-watt daylight fluorescent T12 bulbs plus it gets some light from the window aswell.

It has a new leaf coming up now and so far its not looking deformed yet but I should know for sure in a couple of days.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 16 hours is a bit much. Not sure exactly where in Australia / proximity to the Equator they are, but 12 hours should be a good beginning point, and 4-6" away is standard for CP's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry in advance about highjacking this thread
    jimscott,
    i have my lights on for around 18 hours a day w/ Adelae and the rest of my plants. It's by a southwest facing window, but there are trees blocking most of the light coming in. Adult plants that I've bought seem to take it just fine, but the seedlings I have seem to take FOREVER to grow. I mean, aside from a few out of my 100 capensis, most seem to have not grown in the past month. I don't know if this is because of the extensive photoperiod or if I'm just doing something wrong. my D. intermedia Cuba is flowering now after 5 months from seed but it is only 1.5 cm across. LMK if you think light is the prob.
    Thanks,
    Aaron
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast