User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: D.Adelae growing deformed leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question D.Adelae growing deformed leaves.

One of the sundew's that I bought from Lowes is starting to grow deformed looking leaves. I took some pictures of it but I dont have the best camera so you might not be able to see the deformed parts that great. I checked the plant with a magnifying glass to see if I could tell if there were any pest on the plant or in the soil and I couldnt see anything.

I water all my plants with rain water and distilled water using the water tray method and the temps on my grow shelf is in the low 80's during the hottest part of the day and in the 70's the rest of the time. The humidity is around 50% during the day and around 70% at night. My shelf sits infront of a south-west window and under four (40-watt fluorescent lights).

My other plants that I got from Lowes are doing alot better and are constantly sending up new normal looking growth. Has anyone seen this type of leaf deformity before or know what might cause such a thing.

Whenever two man meet there are really six people present.
    There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other
    sees him, and each man as he really is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe too much lighting, D. adelae is more of a shade plant likes diffuses light.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'd be red if it was too much light. It's probably some kind of mineral build up since adelaes are very sensitive to that. You might also check it again for pests. Also if it starts growing normal leaves again it might have been pests that just left on their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aphids make deformed leaves on VFTs, so that might it, but I can't be sure.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can't quite tell from the picture, but are there some small, "thin hill" formations coming out of either the side or the middle of the leaf? (sorry that's the best description i could give). when i first got my Adelae from Lowes, the leaves kind of looked like yours but it had those weird things popping out of the leaves. It turns out that the bumps turned into small plantlets so i snipped off the leaf and new plants popped up all over.
    i wouldn't be too concerned about it, though. as long as the leaves don't start turning brown, i wouldn't be too concerned about a mineral buildup.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your humidity is alright even though your plant look dewless. So do keep an eye on the plant. If it continues to put out deformed and smaller leaves, it will come to a point when it does not grow anymore. Then the older leaves will turn brown and you'll be left with just the centre. But not to worry too much because the plant can be easily regenerated from its roots.

I have no idea why that happens but it does with one clone of mine but not another. It has growth spurts and then it will suddenly die down for no apparent reason. Most of the time, I will leave it in the pot and new plants will appear after 3-4 weeks. Sometimes I take root cuttings.

My own plants are flapping in the wind at the balcony and sometimes the humidity can drop as low as 38%. They also receive direct sunlight for some part of the day. Having said that, I live in tropical South East Asia which is on average still much more humid than most places.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody for the replies. I will definitely keep an eye on this plant and keep checking it for any pest that might be there. I will keep you posted on any updates
    Whenever two man meet there are really six people present.
    There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other
    sees him, and each man as he really is.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a magnifying glass and look for aphids. It's also good for spotting germinated seedlings.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast