What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My newest plant arrived more than an hour ago

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Here it is, my new Drosera Capensis. I named it "Audrey 2"

018.jpg

021.jpg

Congratulations. Take the plastic off and put it outside.

Cute, but why do you need a dome? It's a capensis, plus, what's with the Disney World map? Lol.

Congratulations. Take the plastic off and put it outside.
My shipment came with 2 other plants (one of them looked like the "Red Cape Sundew") so those plants went into my minibog (pics will come eventually). However, I wanted a plant that I can take with me to my college dorm later this year, so that's why I bought the Cape Sundew.

Cute, but why do you need a dome? It's a capensis, plus, what's with the Disney World map? Lol.
Well, I figured if the air was too dry, the done will help with humidity (and make the plant sticky).

As for the Disney Map.......well, I'm a big fan of Disney.

Seconded.

See above.

I would get two four foot shop lights and some bulbs from the hardware store, check home depot they should have them for like $9. And then just get a table and build some sort of thing to rest the lights on about 6" above the plant and then with your new improved lighting you will have room for more plants.

I would get two four foot shop lights and some bulbs from the hardware store, check home depot they should have them for like $9. And then just get a table and build some sort of thing to rest the lights on about 6" above the plant and then with your new improved lighting you will have room for more plants.

I can't do that in my dorm at college. I needed something small that would fit under my lamp.

That lamp is practically nothing. If you want something that WILL grow well under it, D. adelae would do well. If that's incandescent, change it to CF.

You can't fit a 20 gallon aquarium in your dorm? I'm going to college this august and even I can fit a 24L x 18W x 24T enclosure in the dorm comfortably. Add a couple of PC's or T5's and you'll have a very nice terrarium that you can grow a decent variety in.

That lamp is practically nothing. If you want something that WILL grow well under it, D. adelae would do well. If that's incandescent, change it to CF.

You can't fit a 20 gallon aquarium in your dorm? I'm going to college this august and even I can fit a 24L x 18W x 24T enclosure in the dorm comfortably. Add a couple of PC's or T5's and you'll have a very nice terrarium that you can grow a decent variety in.

I can fit a 30 watt bulb into that lamp. However, I currently have a 15 watt bulb in there. I used to have a Nepenthes Ventricosa (RIP) that grew nicely under it.

I also need to see if my future dorm will have a sunny window in addition to the lamp.

30 watts is nothing, plus a CF has restrike and a desk lamp has a POS "reflector". Your nepenthes may not be dead had you not been using a desk lamp. The only way a Nepenthes would work is if it was very small and the light would be practically on top of it. That won't last long at all.

that pot you've got it in looks humongous for a cape. no such thing as too big I guess... but sweet gentle jesus...

that pot you've got it in looks humongous for a cape. no such thing as too big I guess... but sweet gentle jesus...

that pot will me full in no time. and the solution for low humidity is sphagnum moss. it helped mine at least.

Thirty watts becomes more if you get a compact florescent. A 100 watt equivalent draws...23 watts , I think. Anyways, the plant will let you know if that is not enough.
The soil looks...like a peaty mix that was not wettened enough, though. However, a capensis will tolerate that, lol. Is that one growing on the side of the pot in the water?

Thirty watts becomes more if you get a compact florescent. A 100 watt equivalent draws...23 watts , I think. Anyways, the plant will let you know if that is not enough.
The soil looks...like a peaty mix that was not wettened enough, though. However, a capensis will tolerate that, lol. Is that one growing on the side of the pot in the water?

The soil is a mix of peat and sand, with a dressing of peat around the base of the plant. Those are a couple of leaves a clipped off and I'm hoping that placing them in the water will allow some plantlets to grow.

i think it should have enough water if the bottom container is that full. I put aquatic sand on the surface of my pots and it always looks dry, but just underneath, it is soaking wet. And yeah, as upper said, that pot is perfect. The deeper the pot is, the further down the roots can go. You'll end up w/ a much larger cape than one that's roots are "cramped" in a smaller pot.

As for what setup to use- although people are telling you to change your entire setup, I'd give your setup at least a week and then check how its doing. If it starts declining in health, obviously make some changes. But if your nep did fine and the cape still has red tentacles and is shooting out new growth, I see no reason why you should change anything.

Aaron

You did mention how you hoped the humidity would increase the stickyness (dew). Actually light is one of the biggest factors in dew abundance. Humidity just seems like the most reasonable answer.

-Max

you can grow it without the dome, the current leaves might not regain there dew but the new leaves should have dew on them.

you can grow it without the dome, the current leaves might not regain there dew but the new leaves should have dew on them.

I'm going to gradually grow it without the dome until I don't need it at all. I'm just worried about transplant shock.

I'm going to gradually grow it without the dome until I don't need it at all. I'm just worried about transplant shock.

You don't need it at all right now. You need more light.

xvart.

Back