What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have been trying for the past month to get some shots of my pygmy that are flowering....it's hard believe me! It's like playing hide and seek to catch the flowers open!...or it's hard just because i have a job that's eating my time...don't know. Anyway...

helodes
helodesflower6.jpg

leioblastus
leioblastusflower2.jpg

x lake badgerup
lakebadgerupflower.jpg

occidentalis (this one was very hard to catch!!!)
occidentalisflower.jpg

x carbarup
carbarupflower2.jpg

oreopodion
oreopodionflower.jpg

paleacea
paleaceaflower2.jpg

nitidula x pulchella
nitidulaxpulchellaflower2.jpg

...and this very rare form of binata:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
Dbinatamultifidaflower.jpg

sargentii
sargentiiflower5.jpg

omissa x pulchella
omissaflower3.jpg

pulchellaorangeflower5.jpg

See you around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice pictures.

On average, how long do the flowers stay open for?

***dart, the flowers on my pygmies open around 10:00 or so in the morning and then close around 2:00 in the afternoon.---so around 4 hours for mine.
but some only last around 2 hours :(

mark---the Occidentalis and Helodes are my faves! nice work putting that photo set together.

Wow, that's really short.
Now for a harder question... Why do they stay open for such a short period of time?

got me there! :_
mark, you have any ideas?

it's all about light levels and temperature.....but it depends on the sp. some stay open 12 hours some only 1

Hats off, dude! That took a whole lot of patience to get those shots.

Awesome!

it dit take alot of patience....especialy on the occidentalis flower...i had to take more than 50 shots just to get 5 acceptable ones.
Thanx all!!!!

I guess i will add pics to this thread, better than starting others...more will follow soon!!!

Great pics!

Very nice, congrats on catching them open.

Great job! I've been working on catching my Drosera in flower as well. I literally had one close up on me in the minutes that it took it took to get my setup ready.

Since that lesson I've got my tripod, light and (ghetto) diffuser and backdrop ready for action at all times. lol

New entry!!! Drosera sargentii flower....check the edited initial post!

Just added omissa x pulchella flower...last in the initial post. It was recived in form of gemmae as omissa (ericksoniae) and i haven't noticed anything wrong...until it flowered of course! Anyway....if your omissa has those long white stigmas (not rounded) like mine then you might want to change the name on the label and help stop this hybrid pygmy confusion. Way to many wrong id's in the pygmy world!

Just imagine trying to cross some of those. What a nightmare, lol. I remember reading somewhere that someone ended up taking his plants to the office to catch some wooly sundews in flower to cross.

Great photos. I love pygmy flowers.

xvart.

Does anyone know how long a D. Spinnata flower stays open and what time it usually opens? I have a plant with flower spikes all over it but I never see them open. If someone could tell me when to look I would really appreciate it.

i have no idea what a d. spinnata is.....i can't find anything on the net...are you sure about that id?...........d. stands for what? drosera? post a pic if you can.

I can understand the confusion. My plant is a Drosera Spatulata. I guess some workdays ae longer than others. Sorry about that. I would like to see at least one of my flowers bloom. Can anyone give me details on this plant's flowering tendency?

mine are staying fully open for about 2-3 hours around noon

Now I know why I'm always missing them. I'm usually at work at that time. I think I'll take my lunch up to the plant room on Saturday and see if I can see one. Thanks for the tip.

....and last one of the season...orange pulchella

Back