Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drosera Capensis help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera Capensis help!

I have a drosera capensis that doesn't seem to be doing well. The leaves had red hairs when I got it, but there is not much of that left. It has never produced any dew that I could see. Lately, some of the new growth has developed black tips. I have the cape and 4 other CPs in a terrarium with flourescent lights and I tend to keep the lid closed to keep the humidity up. Is this a good environment for them? I have another drosera that is growing well, but it is not producing much dew.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What other plants do you have in the tank? What are the temperatures in the tank?

Drosera capensis is sub-tropical, not tropical. Perhaps it's getting to hot for it even though D. capensis tolerates a wide range of conditions.

Unless you have tropical species such as petiolaris complex Drosera I would lose the tank and just grow them under lights. Outdoors would probably be better but I don't know your housing situation.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the other drosera (not sure of the species), a Sarracenia purpurea, a Nepenthes (not sure of the species either), and a Pinguicula (Butterwort). I'm not sure of the temp but I would guess it is in the 70's. I will be getting a thermometer to know exactly.

I was wondering if it was too hot for it. For a while I had one 18" fluorescent bulb in the tank. I added a second one, a 13" fluorescent, thinking it would help with the humidity/heat of the tank. I replaced the 18" bulb with a blacklight because I was told it would put out more UV. The plants seemed to like it at first, but it may now be too warm for them.

I was going to try to grow some outside. I have a nice area on the patio that I think would work and am going to put up some shade cloth so it doesn't get too hot for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70F is not too hot for it.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be the UV light. Reptiles might like it but plants generally don't have much use for it.

What other CPs are you growing?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your dew problem is probably related to your lights.....try to post a pic of the plant
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the other drosera (not sure of the species), a Sarracenia purpurea, a Nepenthes (not sure of the species either), and a Pinguicula (Butterwort). I had 2 Fly Traps but I lost them recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will post a pic of the droseras soon.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast