Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird Grass Growing From Moss??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I knew I wasn't hallucinating.

Do what you want; I'm not going to waste my time trying to help someone who doesn't want to listen, or argue with you about basic cultivation.

Good luck. And people think I'm terse, huh Susanne I wonder what would cause my frustration lol.
    Perhaps it's the way you incorrectly read my posts? I wish a mod would come and remove your posts. All you've done is loose your rag and miss quote me on multiple occasions. I wanted to know why my Drosera wasnt growing, you suggested dormancy depite that the temps are miles above what is needed to trigger dormancy. Then you started talking about my Dionaea, who cares. I want to know about my Drosera not my VFT. Your making your self out to be a person who pretends to annoys people on purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was funny. Rain is good. Find a nice sunny place outside and put them there. Let mother nature rain on them all she wants. Then enjoy them. Wait til the fall to bring the tropicals in. Simple right?

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my two cents for what it's worth.

On your D. Anglica, it is indeed forming a winter resting bud. Temperature is not the only trigger for this action. Light is another big factor. For instance, I have two D. intermedia, they are similar to D. anglica in the way they form the winter resting buds. One is outside and is growing great in my bog. The other is still inside under my grow lights. The temps inside are above 80 degrees and only drops a couple degrees at night. It has formed a winter resting bud as well. The problem isn't temperature, it's light. Clint is right, your plants aren't getting enough light. They all need to be left outside, rain or not. I live in North Carolina, not far from VFTs nature habitat. They get rain, hail, freezing temperatures, not to mention hurricanes and everything else. Leave them outside. Regarding the dew washing off your Drosera, they make more. I keep D. capensis and a number of other Drosera out doors, right out in the weather. When it rains, the dew comes back within a day or two if it's washed off at all.

Flowering does not always mean the plant is doing well. It is also a last resort in propagation before it dies.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it rains, it rains for praticaly the whole week. Non stop. Meaning, no more dew, leaves die off and finaly, if it is raining, the clouds are black, blotting out sunlight. It may aswell be inside. Not only that, wind will blow the plant off the table, birds will attack them and knock them off the table, and a week in cold weather will fool it into dormancy. Going in and out of dormancy weekly isnt the best thing in the world surley? We harly get good sunlight here, I grow my VFT outside all year round anyway. Trust me, Sundews + Growing outside = Bad

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you need to focus on tropical CPs and set up an inside grow area in a terrarium or a grow rack if sunlight is so much of an issue. Constantly moving them in and out looks to be stressing your plants quite bad.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears to me that the D. anglica is forming hibernacula. If they've been grown indoors or in a greenhouse under lights moving them outdoors to a different set of temperatures and photoperiod can sometimes signal dormancy.

When I moved my pots of Drosera anglica "CA x HI" and Drosera rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin' outdoors last summer they promptly went dormant. Both do not require dormancy.

Rosetted temperate Drosera sometimes slip into phases of semi-dormancy for no apparent reason.

Just cut back on the watering and let them synchronize to your conditions.

As for the "weeds" personally I'd pull them out as the roots can quickly choke your pots.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Not a Number, Crissytal, I don't have room, nor the budget to set up a grow area indoors.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I beg your pardon. I never said I know more than I do. Please tell me anything that I said that would lead you to believe that. Please tell me where I said something the tiniest bit pretentious. I tried to help you, and then you can't comprehend why I would infer that you're afraid of rain? I tell you something as basic and simple as "The plant needs more light" and "That plant looks like it's getting ready to go dormant", and you want to do nothing but argue with me about something you don't even know the definition of? If anything makes me arrogant, it's the fact that I have enough sense to read a damn book or at the very least a God damned internet FAQ, listen to those with more experience than myself, and use a dictionary. Stupid? Are you seriously calling me stupid after you asked what grass was? After you thought that different names meant the same thing? SERIOUSLY? As far as be not being able to correctly read posts, I'm not so sure about that. I think you don't know how to post. You made a thread asking what grass was as your first question, and then your second question was why wasn't it growing well. Literally, you numbered them: 1. "What is the grass stuff?" and "Why isn't it growing so well"? And before you say I'm misquoting you, why don't you pull out a dictionary and look up the meaning of "Paraphrase". You then act like I'm retarded for thinking you wanted to know why grass wasn't growing well. That's what you asked, but no. I'm the big retard here.

If you said rain and frost killed your plant, and you refuse to put it outside for those reasons, don't act like I'm an idiot by saying you "shouldn't be worried about rain", and then whining that I misquoted you. Don't act like I'm a moron when I said it looked at if the plant was producing hibernacula and getting ready for dormancy. But what do I know, I've only been growing on and off since I was six, and as a serious hobby for the past four or five years. A troll? Are you serious? I tried my hardest to A: decipher what the hell you were talking about, and B: give you advice based not on only my experience, but EVERYONE'S experience. As far as your Dionaea, yeah. Who cares? I'm sorry for going above and beyond what you asked about, grass and apparently D. capensis from Scotland, and trying to help you out. I'm a real A-hole for not knowing what the hell you're trying to say, but doing my best to help you. But I'm just a stupid troll, it's not like I know what the hell I'm talking about or have more experience than you have in your little toe. That's not pretension by the way, that's a fact. The same can be said of many people younger than you on this forum. Do you know the difference? Because they care and don't have a superiority complex that commands to be validated. It's not like I've been an active member of this forum for four or five years. No, I'm just a useless troll. And stupid! You can't forget how stupid I am. I realize your probably going to make a poorly thought out reply doing your best to insult me in a desperate attempt to assert your superiority and validate your complex. Go for it, but don't expect a reply. I'll be gracious and give you the final word. I'll leave the final word to the big man who likes to think he knows more than others, and then insults them for their input.... that happens to be right.

I can't take it anymore. I'm DONE. If someone wants to contact me, do it on another forum or E-mail me. I'm going to stop by and check my PM'S until the auction loose ends are tied. A moderator will probably delete this message. Either delete the whole thing or none of it. Please don't edit it. I hope you can honor that request.

Seacrest out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast