User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 23

Thread: Weird Grass Growing From Moss??

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Weird Grass Growing From Moss??

    Well, here is my D.Anglica.
    This is it less than a month ago, you can see it in the back there behind the Ablino.

    This is it now


    So, 2 questions.
    1. What is that grass stuff?
    2. Why is the Drosera not doing very well? I put it out in full sun when I can and its native to the UK so common sense says it would do far better than the other 2 outside, but it isnt. I give all 3 capensis the same treatment but its just the UK capensis that isnt growing. So if you could shed some light on the situation, that would be great.
    P.S: You can see the VFT double trap on one of the pics. Just a deformed trap thats all.
    Thanks for reading

  2. #2
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1: Grass. Get rid of it.
    2: No nutrients for starters, and secondly your plants need more light. I don't understand what you mean.. UK capensis? What does that mean? That's a picture of D. anglica that looks like it's forming hibernacula. Getting ready to go dormant. I'm confused, and D. anglica is covered up in the first picture.

    I think you're interchanging the names, maybe? I don't understand what you're asking.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its just about covered up, you can see it in the second pic anyway. How the heck can it go dormant? It warm in the house and it warm out side in full sun. If that one is going dormant, then why arn't the other 2? Anglica is a UK plant, found in the scottish highlands. How can it be down to no nutrients? Its a CP isnt it?? Im asking, Why isnt it growing? And what is that wierd grass?
    Last edited by xvart; 07-14-2008 at 02:45 PM.

  4. #4
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You asked why the grass wasn't doing well lol.I guess you meant the Drosera.

    I actually forgot that it's July..... but that looks like hibernacula to me, don't you agree? It is a bit early lol. What are two are you talking about? I see one D. anglica and two D. capensis. They aren't the same plant, and it's not just another form of D. capensis that's temperate. D. capensis comes from the cape in South Africa. It's tropical. D. anglica is temperate, except from the form from Hawaii. You even have them labeled properly, so... if you aren't calling D. anglica D. capensis and D. capensis D. anglica, I don't know what you're talking about.

    Look at it. You aren't giving it enough light, ditto for your Dionaea and D. capensis, and it looks like you haven't had them long. How long have you had them all? They should look better than that after a month. That weird grass is just that. It's grass. It's a weed, so pluck it out.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    You asked why the grass wasn't doing well lol.I guess you meant the Drosera.

    I actually forgot that it's July..... but that looks like hibernacula to me, don't you agree? It is a bit early lol. What are two are you talking about? I see one D. anglica and two D. capensis. They aren't the same plant, and it's not just another form of D. capensis that's temperate. D. capensis comes from the cape in South Africa. It's tropical. D. anglica is temperate, except from the form from Hawaii. You even have them labeled properly, so... if you aren't calling D. anglica D. capensis and D. capensis D. anglica, I don't know what you're talking about.

    Look at it. You aren't giving it enough light, ditto for your Dionaea and D. capensis, and it looks like you haven't had them long. How long have you had them all? They should look better than that after a month. That weird grass is just that. It's grass. It's a weed, so pluck it out.
    You forgot it was july?? They are getting plenty of light, its not my fault it isnt sunny here all the time. I'd rather have them inside in the warmth as opposed to outside in the rain. Whats Ditto for the Dioanea mean? I'm doing the best I can given the sunlight we are having here. If they were outside they'd have no leaves or worse. Clearly it isn't that bad as one is flowering. I appologise for thinking D.Anglica is a form of D.Capensis, I didn't know they were seperate. Why would I ask "why isnt the grass doing so well?" lol. I have no idea what a
    hibernacula
    is, so I can't agree, sorry. I only had 1 Capensis and it died. I left it out in the rain and frost. I wont let these die.

  6. #6
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't think it rains in their habitat? Your Dionaea needs more like, too.

    Why would they have no leaves outside? Why do you say that?

    A hibernacula is a winter resting bud. Why do you have to worry about frost? Apparently it's July!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    You don't think it rains in their habitat? Your Dionaea needs more like, too.

    Why would they have no leaves outside? Why do you say that?

    A hibernacula is a winter resting bud. Why do you have to worry about frost? Apparently it's July!
    Were did I say I'm worried about frost?? Rain deteriorates the leaves quicker, I want them with dew on, rain washes it off, a no brainer. Of course it rain in thier habitat, were did I say I dont think it did? My Dionaea is outside, how much more light can I give it?? I just want to know why my Anglica isnt growing, I dont want to argue about you miss quoting me.

  8. #8
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    I only had 1 Capensis and it died. I left it out in the rain and frost. I wont let these die.
    I knew I wasn't hallucinating.


    Do what you want; I'm not going to waste my time trying to help someone who doesn't want to listen, or argue with you about basic cultivation.

    Good luck. And people think I'm terse (and of course, rude), huh Susanne I wonder what would cause my frustration lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •