What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Bushy Little Kennealyii

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
Well while doing some growing chamber cleaning and re-aranging i noticed my D. Kennealyii, hope i spelled that right needed repoting BADLY.:0o: They had turned into little bushes and have gotting a real nice red color to them. When i first recived these dews back at the end of winter they came in these tiny pots and they were pretty frozen, only a few leafs/stems on them and about the size of a quarter. I didnt think they would make it, i tended to them 24-7 and did what i knew best and sure enough they have GROWN BUSHED OUT like crazy.. They have a temper to they dont like being moved around and quickly loose ther dew, just taking them out of the growing chamber to do cleaning for a half hr and they start getting a wierd color and the dew disapears. There like my little kids, DONT ASK!!!!:-)) Anyways i had to repot them and i took these pics..
Sometimes ya dont think they have dew on them but sure enough they do on closer inspection.. LOL!!
right after repoting, they went from them tiny pots to these plastic cups which i make pots outa them with holes in the bottom, they work great for all sorts small CPs. This is there second repotting since i got them, they just keep growing and growing..:0o:
DSCF3117.jpg

DSCF3120.jpg

I had trimed of some leafs from under the bottom where some were old an dead to make it alittle more pleasing and give them more room to grow, ive done this several times it seems they dont mind that at all..:-D
DSCF3128.jpg

DSCF3129.jpg

They flowerd once already for me since i got them but the sneaky little dews they opened there flowers while i was in bed sleeping.. :censor: So i missed my chance there and now will wait for the next ones to pop up.

I'm soooooooo jealous! Mine is going nowhere:

DSCF1516.jpg

Talk about contrast!

At least the lanata looks decent:

DSCF1515.jpg

:0o: :0o: Wow i guess so Jim, SEND TO ME I WILL MAKE IT GROW LUSH AND BEAUTIFUL!:-)) J/K!!! By the way thats how mine looked after being badly frozen back durring winter when i got mine in, i didnt think they had a chance in the world of pulling thru but within 2 weeks and knowing what they like best it worked and then i noticed a few things about them they liked and didnt like. Tempramental little turds they are.. LOL!! Whats the conditions your keeping it in Jim?? What did you use for media? Remember what i told ya about how i was growing these dews and how i had them set up in one of my PMs to you maybe you should give that a whirl and see how things go for a few weeks. ;) ;) I love these dews and dont have a prob in the world with um and they grow really well for me..

Nice I was looking to get some of these. So when do you want to send me some? I thought it was funny. But those do look nice. What are your growing conditions?

what are the conditions of you grow chamber? I would love to grow these buys when I get up north. I know everyone is sick and tired of me saying "When I gt up north", but I realistically should not be getting more plants till I move! LMAO That guy looks awesome Tracey! Thanks for sharing!

It's right there in the heated fishtank, under the Grolite, with the lanata, along with Neps, B. liniflora, and other tropical sundews. Temp is about 90 F. Media is LFS. Maybe it just needs more time to straighten itself out?

DSCF1514-1.jpg

Thanks JMurphy, Thanks JB... :-D Ok this is how i have them set up there in a old 50 gal odd shaped tall and long Tru Vu acrylic tank, i have a shelf built into that the full lenght, i have about 2 inches of water sitting on the bottom of the tank under the self, all growing CPs are currently 12 to 13 inches from the lights, with the exception of the D. Kennealyii i have them raised about 1 1/2 inchs higher. The temps at the end where they are is over 87% Id say close to 92%, i have been able to create a heat and humidity gradiant at one end its higher and the other end lower, by simply have more opening at the top and alittle less light at one end. Now the end the D. Kennealyii are at i have it completly coverd with suranwrap but have a small opening so as to get some fresh air there and once a day while watering, tending to the CPs in this tank i have the top open for about half hr so the whole thing gets air. Now the lighting is 2 48 inch bulbs, 1 is plant grow and the other daylight, then i have 2 18 inch bulbs on it both are plant grow bulbs, im gona be adding another daylight bulb shortly, the end where the D. Kennealyii has full blast from all bulbs. I turn off the lights durring extrem heat of the day if it gets to hot in the house for about 3 hrs, normaly lights are off for only 4 hrs while im in bed sleeping the rest of the time lights are on.. Yes i have wierd sleep pattern i dont sleep much..:blush: Anyways these dews are very tempermental, they dont like being SOGGY OR WATER LOGGED, the media you use should be very moist, dont have them sitting down in deep water i think it rots there roots quickly, i use way way less than a inch of water for them to sit in. I noticed the bigger bushier one has a long root systom while the other one has a balled root systom, not sure whats up with that.??? I wouldnt grow them in straight LFS, i would deffinately go with a well drained media but with a good amount of spag peat.
The CP media i use is a mix i make its 60% spag peat, then 20% perlite, 10% sand and 10% shredded/choped dry LFS all mixed together, the last time i repoted these dewy kids i had moist LFS on the bottom of there pots then the mix on top of that, they did just fine with that but i wanted more drainage this time so i used perlite on the bottom of the pots this time and then the mix on that. They both sit in the same amount of distilled water, ive noticed when the tiny amount of water they sit in gets almost gone then they have this huge growth spurt. I dont know if the water dissapering has something to do with the growth or what..??? I had also noticed they did even better with a small plastic wall around the pot just going above the leafs/stems so i had them set in a plastic cup that was taller than the pot itself, the top was NOT enclosed it was WIDE open, i will get pics of how there set up inside the grow chamber and get them posted today. The higher the humidity the better it seems. They did NOT like being outside in the sun, even when gradually intro'd to the outside sun/temps over a period of time, lack of temp, lack of humidity WHO KNOWS!!!???
I thought for sure they were goners due to the fact they were FROZEN and i mean Frozen when they came in and looked dead, so i dont know how they managed to survive other than a super fast quick dormancy they went into in such a short amount of time durring shipping maybe??????? They have been growing like gangbusters for over the past 6 months now and they dont seem to be slowing down at all. Everything is always trial and error when ya find something that works ya stick with it..
I have some D. falconeri comming in soon and im gona grow them the same way im growing these dews if they do well i guess im doing something right.. LOL!!!

Jim i think you should do alittle re-aranging try repoting yours into a diffrent media something simular to mine with the wall around the lower part of the plant and try the same amount of heat but higher humidity with it sitting in less water, try daylight bulbs with say one plant light.. Its worth a shot. These dews are WELL worth everything you do to keep them growing and looking there best. I wish i had more of these dews hopefuly befour winter sets in again i can get a few more.. I know sometimes my growing methods sound wierd or off the wall but i have had great luck with everything i do and im sticking with it... :-D I will get pics ASAP and post um up of how there in the grow chamber now..

Thanks Tracey! I would love to see pictures.

Wow Tracey "Loooking Goood" !

Better picture:

of505904423-2.jpg

My experience with rearranging and transplanting has had mixed results. Like the time I thought I'd do a couple of D. regia seedlings a favor by putting them in separate pots. They both died within a week! Now why couldn't that have been capensis?! Anyways, it ends being a judgement call and I am NOW tending to give struggling plants a good month or so to acclimate to new conditions before transplanting... or not. Too much tinkering, as I have in the past, has been mostly detrimental. As long as I see new leaves from the crown, I'm letting them be. They've got good media and decent lighting, with ~1/2" water level.

Back