What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundew doesnt produce "dew"

when i got the sundew it didnt have any dew on it. and i got a little worried so i misted my sundew and thought maybe the water on it would trigger it. ive only had it for a few days now. any suggestions on how to get it to produce dew?

It'll probably make "dew" when it fully acclimates to your conditions. From what I've heard, Sundews don't really like being misted. I'm not 100% sure on this because I never had experience in where I had to mist. So just wait a little longer to see for it to get used to your conditions. Btw, what kind of Sundew is it?

...that and where you keep it and how you got it?

I agree with mark.ca and Capensis the sundew is probably acclimating to it's now home I never misted my sundews they do pretty well.

Please tell us how your growing the sundew, where, what kind of water, media etc. if you just got the sundew it might need time before it makes dew while it's getting used to it's new home or it could be other things so if you could tell use what window is it at and a picture if you can if not that's ok also where did you get it lowes/homedepot or somewhere else and what kind of sundew is it?.

Probably needs more light. Of course, as mentioned, current growing conditions and type of sundew will help a bunch.

xvart.

The new leaves should have dew, don't spray it's leaves. Use rain or RO water. Don't fertilize. Isn't their a sticky thread that is a care sheet or something?

i have a drosera capensis and it also came with abunch of small drosera burmanni. i keep them on a shelf with flourescent lights for about 5-6hrs a day and put them on a windowsill the rest of the day. windowsill doesnt get much light at all its all shady. And also i shouldn't mist them, can you explain why that is? Also i give it rain water, but i do have access to RO i just thought rain would be better for it.

They probably need way more light than that. I'm not sure why misting isn't a good idea for them, but it just is. Hopefully someone else will answer that question.

When I got my capensis it had no dew, and it didn't make any for a while. Then I got a fluorescent light fixture with two 4' 40 watt bulbs and put the plant under it with the lights on for 15 hours a day and it's very happy and making dew. It just needs to adjust for a little while.

i use 2 compact flourescent lights both are 6500k each. i keep them under light for 5-6 hrs a day and the rest of day they get the shaded light my window gets.

Back