What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundew flower to cut or not

im not sure if i should let it flower or not. I know with fly traps they die soon after, I dont know if it is the same with sundews. All i know is when i got this one it had a dead flower stalk, i had to cut it off because it was dead. but i noticed another one coming up, right now its still completely green and only like a inch or two tall. so should i cut it or what?

NOT true about flytraps dying soon after flower, its only if the plant is grown poorly while flowering that the plant puts too much energy into the flower, if grown properly, you never really notice a change in the VFT once it is done. Drosera dont really expend as much energy in my experiances, imo, if you want seed, let it flower, drosera are fast growers from seed in many cases.

From what I've heard, flower stalks on most Droseras don't take a toll on them like Flytraps. And Fly traps don't die from flowering :p. Since you said you had D. capensis, it'll probably be fine since they can make flower repeatedly for a while.

I've heard repeated flowering, such as what sundews do, can eventually slow down the plant a bit. With my capesis..es i usually collect seed from a couple stalks then go around pinching buds. I mean really.... I don't want any more at this point...

lmao Wurm, they really are quite the weed...which is why i dumped a couple of flowering adults off on a friend with tons of orchids >:] arent i a stinker

Lol.

Yes, after a while, it starts to make it hard on them, but capensis usually recover after all the flowering stops, from what I've read anyways.

My 'dews flower constantly. And many sundews make seed so I wouldn't bother to cut the scapes. I never see any affects from flowering...other than lots of baby 'dews. :)

how long does it take for dews to grow from seeds? i mean to like a desirable size. say a few inches tall? fly traps take forever to get to a decent size so ive always cut the flowers on them.

lmao Wurm, they really are quite the weed...which is why i dumped a couple of flowering adults off on a friend with tons of orchids >:] arent i a stinker

Tell me about it. Inspecting the pot of VFTs that once held my big ol capensis (now living with joossa) today, I found 20+ seedling capes in random areas of the pot ^^

not long at all, im noticing relatively large Spatulata seedlings popping up out of nowhere and its only been a few months since they germinated.
and yeah Wurm, capensis are like springtails....almost impossible to get rid of once they get started o_o

Back