What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera lasiantha abloom

Hi evrybody! :)

I am new here and very happy that my d. lasiantha blessed me with beautiful flowers so i`d like to share some pics with you:)

Now the plant itself stopped dewing and ceased growing while blooming i would like to ask whether it is normal behaviour or maybe should I cut the stalk ?

Thanx! :-D

sorry i am new here and chose wrong website for publishing photos...
maybe this will work...
lasianthaabloom2.jpg

lasianthaabloom.jpg

It is normal for some pygmy species to stop growing and loose most of their leaves. It is happening to me on sargenti, helodes and some paleacea subspecies. They usualy recover after they stop flowering. I never cut down flower stalks!

Niiiice! What wooly lil' buggers! It's nice to see some rarer Drosera being shown off.

Niiiice! What wooly lil' buggers! It's nice to see some rarer Drosera being shown off.

those look great! what kind of potting mix are you using for them?

I am growing them in a 60/40 mix of silica sand (coarse+fine) and peat. And as u can see i covered the surface with sole sand to thwart the growth of fungi moss algae and other nasty stuff. They seem to like this substrate.

Welcome to TF! Where are you from? D. lasiantha is one of my favorites, although it's hard to come by.

hi jimscott!
It is my favourite drosera as well:) It is not hard to get it here in Europe (at least i have no troubles acquiring this species. I have hard time ordering tuberous droseras here though. BTW i am from Slovakia ( former Czechoslovakia....18 years ago) I would send you some DL but I dont think she would make it to NY.

Would that be what we are calling Slovenia?

That's okay, one of these days this species will make its way across "the Pond", in the form of gemmae. D. lasanthiana reminds me of having D. scorpioides, only more deluxe:

DSCF1544.jpg

I think there is a cooperation among the European community, so you may actually have more accessibility to the tuberous sundews than you realize. I don't have much skill with getting plants like D. peltata & auriculata past their dormancy stage. They just never return.

Now wooly sundews are my favourites!

of5059044216-1.jpg

beautiful pictures jimscott!
Petiolarix complex is my favourite but i havent had the pleasure yet. Hopefully soon i will get some. D. scorpioides is beautiful pygmy i think it is the biggest as well. I have a pot of them and they make me very happy. It always amazes me how successful hunters they are!
Geography: Actually Slovenia is a different state that used to be part of former Yugoslavia...they had war there and sh.t like that we didnt have when parting from Czech republic. maybe you can google it up if u really want to know where it is;-)
If i manage to get some gemmae od lasiantha i will let you know if u are interested:)

Welcome, klasac! Thanks for sharing those pictures. That is a great flower. Although I've never attempted tuberous dews, I always like reading about them and experiences other growers have with them. I look forward to seeing more of you collection!

xvart.

If you take good care of your lasiantha, in a few years, is going to get alot more taller than the scorpioides.....and nicer!

Back