What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera whittakeri question?

I just recieved a tuber of D. whittakeri ssp. whittakeri and was wondering:
1) Should I go ahead and pot it up in its media or wait til fall for cooler temps?
2) I have heard these need a nightly temp drop but have also read of them being kept in constant 70-80F temps. Whats the scoop?
3) I normally use a 2/1/1 mix of chopped LFS, sand, fine orchid bark. Is there a better mix for this particular species?
4) I have kept tuberous Drosera but never this species. Any hints or tips for this particular species?

Cannot seem to find much info on this species. Thanks all for any answers.

macamus- I have grown this species in the past and treated it just like all the peltata I grow. My mix of choice is 2 parts sand, 1 part peat. I like to use a larger grit particle of sand as well.

The big question is did you receive this tuber from a grower here in the USA in its dormant stage? If this is a recent acquisition from say..Australia..then there may be a seasonal disruption going on and I don't know how to handle this situation. Pyro is a very good grower of the tuberous sundews...one of the best..and he may be able to help.

If you received the tuber from a grower here in the states then I would go ahead and pot it up but don't water it until the fall. I am in the process of repotting all of my tubers now into fresh mix but won't water them until November or so. I grow mine all in an unheated greenhouse that can occasionally get into the low 40's during the winter so low temps like these shouldn't be a problem. All of my tuberous seem to begin growth in early winter in these cold temps so I think they may require a seasonal drop in temps anyways.

But again...I'm not an expert in this field, just a successful grower and Pyro or someone else may need to fill you in on the rest. Sorry if I babbled!

Good luck!

It is a tuber from a grower in CA. Do not usually get tubers this time of year. I had read, I believe in Savage Garden that this species tubers need to be kept somewhat moist during dormancy instead of dry???? Which is how I keep my other tuberous dews. Thanks for the responce philcula. I am just going to treat as dormant and pot upm in the fall.

Back