What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmanii abloom

What I believe is D. burmanii bloomed while I was gone. Here's s photo I took. Sadlly, I got to see the first bloom open, but when I went to take a picture about an hour later, it closed. I also have some questions. Can the seeds be germinated outside at this time of year and keep it outside year-round? About how long does it take for the seeds to be ripe from this plant? And I can't think of more right now. (the D. burmanii is in my mini-bog, btw)

SN852092.jpg

Congrats on the flowering. Maybe another will emerge. Look for blackness in the pod. Antarctica may be a little rough on them with that year round thing. :jester: Seriously, Florida? Why not... they do that in nature.

Thanks. But what I want to know exactly is that when I collect the seeds, should I just go ahead and sow them and keep have them outside even though it's August (or might be September when they're ready)? Or in the wild, is this the time for them to flower, since they die after flowering?

if you think your only going to have one flower. think again =] several of my burmanni from last year sent up 5+ stalks all packed with flowers. one i had send up 11 and it lasted from may to november! when you get seed just sow them again. they will start to colonize the pots and mini bogs =]

Alex

I live in the Florida-like part of Antarctica also. I made the horrible mistake of planting the seeds I collected from my blooming plants. They are now growing and blooming year-round in most of my pots/water trays/even on the bare ground. So yes, you can keep them outside all year {you may need to be careful the couple of cold nights you may get during the winter}, and don't be surprised if you end up with way more than you want or need. Also be careful - if you don't keep track of the seed pods they tend to disperse the seeds on thier own when they know you're not watching and you get seedlings everywhere.

This should be interesting :p. I plan on using this when I collect the seeds.

SN851286.jpg

...even on the bare ground...
That's weird, but neat. Is the soil they are in sand or regular garden soil?

The soil is regular yard soil. In this area of the state it is extremely sandy though. It is also not a carpet of burmanii, just the odd plant here or there where the seed has dropped. They also don't make it to maturity very often - but I think that's because they continually dry out. The ones that have invaded other pots however produce multiple flower stalks and untold numbers of seeds.

Looks like you guys were right, I see another flower spike coming up. I may be getting more than I wanted ^^; All the excess I'll have, I might send them to the ICPS, or maybe, just maybe, a give away :D.

Share with the newbies. This is a good beginner plant.

Back