User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is something wrong is my D. filiformis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem?

Anyway, I checked today and the reason why it still had some green is because 3 leaves just popped out, one already having a black spot. I'm starting to believe it's dormancy, but still not quite sure...
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dormancy - the old leaves will brown, blacken and it will stop growing new ones - forming the winter bud around the crown. The winter bud, if you can see it as it is often covered with the fuzz ball, looks sort of like flat hooks pointing to a central point.

Regardless these species should be kept drier at all times than most of the North American temperates such as Drosera rotundifolia or D. anglica.

Here's my "Florida Giant" waking up. In the winter bud the green leaves are clenched tightly together:
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of browning...NaN, I'm noticing the older leaves are dying at the base. What would you make of this?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should brown from the tips down. It doesn't sound good That's what happened with mine. The leaves would blacken from the bottom and finally a mold/fungus started to appear on the black parts.

Sorry, I have no magic solutions. A sulfur based fungicide seemed to control the fungus/mold but the plants still died. Just hope for the best. It took me three tries with D. filiformis var tracyii which is touchier than var. filiformis.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh...Well, if all else fails, I took a cutting and cut it into three and it has a runner. But why it's like this, I have no idea...What would cause it to die?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capensis, NaN is right. The leaves start to brown from the tip and then it goes downwards. Browning from the bottom up (like in your picture), especially on new emerging leaves is not a good sign.

Funny, I keep my var tracyii waterlogged at all times during the growing season. During dormancy I keep it wetter than my other CPs. With all this, I've never had a problem with rot and consider it one of my hardiest and easiest plants. Now if you ask me about flytraps and rot... well then it's a different story .
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this makes things better, I just checked it and some more leaves popped up, not sickly looking as far as I can see and, some leaves are browning...from the top .

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My filiformis went dormant. It's cotton ball went soggy and black, and it looked OK. Then it got wet. Once. The tiny little green leaves that it had before it went dormant died, so now its just a black ball with a few sparse roots. It's soils gone dry, but it's still winter here so if I water it now it'll rot it! It's little corm is so tiny, and I don't think it's got any green leaves hidden in it. I think its dead!
    Drosera Arcturi-The Alpine Sundew...

I'm an AMP People's Choice Applicant this year, please vote for me here:
    http://ampvoting.orcas.co.nz/Applicants/Details/10699

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast