What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is something wrong is my D. filiformis?

From the last few days, I noticed something odd with my D. filiformis FL Giant. The crown started to brown a little and three leaves that were just starting to grow have died. It's in my mini-bog that doesn't hold quite as much water as my pots, so maybe it's not getting enough water? I'm very puzzled of what could be wrong. This plant used to be very dewy, but now only the new leaves that are still uncurling are dewy. Is it possible that it's dormancy? It's still blazing hot and the photoperiod hasn't really changed. Any thoughts? Thanks.

SN852114.jpg

Drosera filiformis are prone to crown rot. They like somewhat dry conditions, var tracyii especially. I top water very sparingly and not at all when they are dormant.

It's possible that it is going dormant. The winter bud looks kind of like teeth and is often covered with that fibre you see in the center.

I'd assume dormancy and back off the watering just a touch. If it's crown rot too much water will make it worse. If it's going dormancy too much water will cause crown rot.

Don't let it dry out though.

My D. filiformis var filiformis "NJ Pine Barrens" has gone dormant already.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the adivce :D. I'll try not to keep it wet. Though, one thing is odd. It never really is soaking wet most of the times. It's usually just moist or damp. If all else fails, I've tooken a leaf cutting and cut it into three pieces, experimenting a little.

I didn't know they like it on the drier side. Mine go from pretty wet to moderately moist. The ones in my bog have a water table that's 3" down. Very interesting information. Thanks NAN!

Crystal

The real touchy period is when they are dormant or coming out of dormancy. Once full growth has taken over you don't need to be as cautious,

Having killed two clumps of D.filiformis var tracyii from crown rot I'm probably a bit more cautious than need be.

Capensis: although it is difficult to judge from the photo your media doesn't look very wet so your water levels are probably ok. Keep an eye on the crown and if it keeps getting fuzzier like a cotton ball then it's probably going dormant.

mine had the little cotton ball at the middle ever since i got it. i thought it was some kinda insect infestation. thx for the info NaN

You are probably a bit too cautious NaN...wich is good.
I didn't care much about mine and now it's growing like crazy....the water level has always been high, between 1/4 and 1/2 of the pot ...except the dormancy period when i keep it more on the dry side...too dry sometimes as i use to keep it separate from my tropicals and forget to water it ...more than a week sometimes.

Thanks capensis for starting this thread, Im having the same problem with mine. Now I know what to do.!!

No problem?

Anyway, I checked today and the reason why it still had some green is because 3 leaves just popped out, one already having a black spot. I'm starting to believe it's dormancy, but still not quite sure...

Dormancy - the old leaves will brown, blacken and it will stop growing new ones - forming the winter bud around the crown. The winter bud, if you can see it as it is often covered with the fuzz ball, looks sort of like flat hooks pointing to a central point.

Regardless these species should be kept drier at all times than most of the North American temperates such as Drosera rotundifolia or D. anglica.

Here's my "Florida Giant" waking up. In the winter bud the green leaves are clenched tightly together:
01890020.jpg

Speaking of browning...NaN, I'm noticing the older leaves are dying at the base. What would you make of this?

They should brown from the tips down. It doesn't sound good :( That's what happened with mine. The leaves would blacken from the bottom and finally a mold/fungus started to appear on the black parts.

Sorry, I have no magic solutions. A sulfur based fungicide seemed to control the fungus/mold but the plants still died. Just hope for the best. It took me three tries with D. filiformis var tracyii which is touchier than var. filiformis.

Oh...Well, if all else fails, I took a cutting and cut it into three and it has a runner. But why it's like this, I have no idea...What would cause it to die?

Capensis, NaN is right. The leaves start to brown from the tip and then it goes downwards. Browning from the bottom up (like in your picture), especially on new emerging leaves is not a good sign.

Funny, I keep my var tracyii waterlogged at all times during the growing season. During dormancy I keep it wetter than my other CPs. With all this, I've never had a problem with rot and consider it one of my hardiest and easiest plants. Now if you ask me about flytraps and rot... well then it's a different story :puke: .

If this makes things better, I just checked it and some more leaves popped up, not sickly looking as far as I can see and, some leaves are browning...from the top :D.

:( :(
My filiformis went dormant. It's cotton ball went soggy and black, and it looked OK. Then it got wet. Once. The tiny little green leaves that it had before it went dormant died, so now its just a black ball with a few sparse roots. It's soils gone dry, but it's still winter here so if I water it now it'll rot it! It's little corm is so tiny, and I don't think it's got any green leaves hidden in it. I think its dead! :(

I just received D. filiformis with cotton balls and replanted outside. The cotton balls turned brown and new leaves are emerging. I guess I woke them up! But yeah, I've been told that when filiformis awakens it's best not to keep them wet for awhile. I took a chance and got lucky.

Back