User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is something wrong is my D. filiformis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is something wrong is my D. filiformis?

From the last few days, I noticed something odd with my D. filiformis FL Giant. The crown started to brown a little and three leaves that were just starting to grow have died. It's in my mini-bog that doesn't hold quite as much water as my pots, so maybe it's not getting enough water? I'm very puzzled of what could be wrong. This plant used to be very dewy, but now only the new leaves that are still uncurling are dewy. Is it possible that it's dormancy? It's still blazing hot and the photoperiod hasn't really changed. Any thoughts? Thanks.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera filiformis are prone to crown rot. They like somewhat dry conditions, var tracyii especially. I top water very sparingly and not at all when they are dormant.

It's possible that it is going dormant. The winter bud looks kind of like teeth and is often covered with that fibre you see in the center.

I'd assume dormancy and back off the watering just a touch. If it's crown rot too much water will make it worse. If it's going dormancy too much water will cause crown rot.

Don't let it dry out though.

My D. filiformis var filiformis "NJ Pine Barrens" has gone dormant already.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, ok. Thanks for the adivce . I'll try not to keep it wet. Though, one thing is odd. It never really is soaking wet most of the times. It's usually just moist or damp. If all else fails, I've tooken a leaf cutting and cut it into three pieces, experimenting a little.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know they like it on the drier side. Mine go from pretty wet to moderately moist. The ones in my bog have a water table that's 3" down. Very interesting information. Thanks NAN!

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real touchy period is when they are dormant or coming out of dormancy. Once full growth has taken over you don't need to be as cautious,

Having killed two clumps of D.filiformis var tracyii from crown rot I'm probably a bit more cautious than need be.

Capensis: although it is difficult to judge from the photo your media doesn't look very wet so your water levels are probably ok. Keep an eye on the crown and if it keeps getting fuzzier like a cotton ball then it's probably going dormant.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine had the little cotton ball at the middle ever since i got it. i thought it was some kinda insect infestation. thx for the info NaN
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are probably a bit too cautious NaN...wich is good.
    I didn't care much about mine and now it's growing like crazy....the water level has always been high, between 1/4 and 1/2 of the pot ...except the dormancy period when i keep it more on the dry side...too dry sometimes as i use to keep it separate from my tropicals and forget to water it ...more than a week sometimes.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

carnivorus plant collector
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks capensis for starting this thread, Im having the same problem with mine. Now I know what to do.!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast