S. purpurea

D. sp. Gran Sabana

D. schizandra

D. madagascariensis

D. sp. Magaliesburg

D. coccicaulis

D.capillaris

..and now my questions:

1.)everytime i get new D. slackii and plant it it dies in several days. Dont know what i am doing wrong. Does she have any special requirements in order to thrive?

2.) about taxonomy: a have had a confusion about D.sp.Gran Sabana now is it the same as D. roraimae with precise place specification (Mt. Roraima is very close to Mt. Gran Sabana) or is it different species? Is D. sp. magalieburg the same as D. collinsiae?>
    And D. coccicaulis is a subspieces or variety of D. natalensis (venusta)?
    If anyone is capable of clarifying...I`d be thankful because the more i read the less i know about this confusinf stuff.

Thanx!;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't answer your 2nd question, but I know some things about D. Slackii.

It loves light. Could you let us know what conditions you give it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you still use the old name for Nidiformis? its much easier to type than D. sp. Magaliesburg
    either way, nice plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jefforever: i grew it in sand/peat mix (30/70) in an open terrarium lots of water and apx 70% humidity. Every day 8 hours of sunlight (south window) and additional 6 hours of flourecsent white cool light. Any other plant starts to grow after planting in a pot under these condition but slackii. I dont get it. Killed 3 of them already and feel bad for it.

SirKristoff: That was not usage of name that was a question about it. So if I understand correctly D. sp. Magaliesburg is an old name for D. nidiformis? Thats news to me than you very much for this information. And what is its relation to D. collinsiae?
    COuld you please answer the question about D. coccicaulis and D. roraimae (sp. Gran Sabana?)
    Obviously u know a lot about this stuff. One more time thank you for answers!;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont know too much about the other stuff, infact, the only reason i knew about the Magaliesburg being Nidiformis is because, well. i have it xD. here check this out
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/see...nidiformis.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 hours of sunlight? That's more ligght than I give mine! I can't really tell what the problem is...

How do they look when they die? Are they burnt? Are they rotting? Do they look like they're drying up?

Goodluck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They just turn black from the leaf edges it progresses towards the centre of the rosette. In 4-8 days they are dead They look like they are rotten or something. Maybe I overwatered them? But i dont think repotted sundew should be in dry soil....maybe i am wrong who knows...

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. roraimae (sp. Gran Sabana?) - a name like this would violate the binomial naming conventions for species. I can find no references to this name. The Roraime tupui is on the La Gran Sabana (The Grand Savanna). I would suspect this amounts to location data. However the Drosera montana complex is probably under revision. See Fernando Rivadavia's articles.

D. coccicaulis - the main consensus is that this is a made up name and is actually Drosera natalensis/venusta. Drosera natalensis and Drosera venusta are considered synonyms for the same species. The story is that D. coccicaulis was made up either as a cover name or to fool people to buy a "new" species. A few people feel that there may be some location specific differences associated with plants labeled as "coccicaulis" so if you relabel at least keep "cociccaulis" in quotes (e.g. Drosera venusta "coccicaulis").

CP species database:
    http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi

Drosera slackii - these are supposed to be easy to cultivate. How are you getting the plants potted or bare root? If potted do you immediately repot them? Travis Wyman (Pyro) noted that many South African Drosera switch through active and inactive phases and can be prone to shock while in the inactive phase. Also many South African Drosera will come back from the roots, so don't throw those pots out.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...94Dslackii.htm
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast