What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I do something wrong here?

The first two photos are of P. moranensis that is starting a flower. I have not changed anything since it started, but the leaf next to it started to die early. Did I do something wrong? Should I reduce watering now? I thought that summer flowers don't indicate dormancy so I should keep doing what I have been doing.

The third photo is the top of the soil/sphag of some D. capensis seeds. What are the white things? Is this dampening off and did I kill the seeds?

Thanks now for all your help.

feedme

i think you accidentally posted this in the wrong area, but yeah, i think that white stuff defintiely looks like mold in the 3rd pic.
good luck,
Aaron

I did post it in the wrong place. I did that by accident because of the second pot.

Pinguicula, when grown in the home, usually go in and out of "dormancy" whenever they feel like it. I dunno why. Although, there are some that follow the artificial photoperiod that I've set up.

Anyways, I'd say that reducing water is the best thing that you can do. Is the leaf mushy, or is it dry and crispy? Mushy means too much water.

-Ben

Thanks for the help Ben. I have just reduced water. It is in a indoor controlled environment. The lights are on a timer and the humidity and temps have been the same. Must have just felt like it.

Do I need to drop the temps on it too?

No, it should be fine if you leave the temperature as it is. I think mainly it was just an over-watering problem. It may not be even going into "dormancy".

But I could be wrong. Anyone more experienced want to help us out?

-Ben

Mine did their best in rather unique conditions. We were living in a house that had an upper and a lower. We lived in the upper and the stairway to the upper had two south facing windows and was unheated. During the spring and summer I had the window up and the screen in, letting in sunlight through the holes of the screen. It also allowed the temps to rise and fall during the day, as opposed to constant room temp. During the winter the temps ranged from the 40's-60's and those with hetereophylous leaves went into winter / succulent mode. When spring came, about a half dozen of them flowered, coming into growth mode. When kept in room temp, only one flowered. They need all 4 seasons.

Back