What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you do with flower stalks?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Once in awhile I receive a sundew with a flower stalk. Do you cut it off to save energy or hope that the stalk will continue to develop? I'm not having any luck with the continued development.

I always throw them in water although I haven't seen anything sprout, I'm told that you can sometimes get plants regenerating on them.

I don't have much experience with dews. That said, it makes sense to cut off the stalk of any plant that one has recently acquired to allow for good ole' acclimation. Effort and energy will go into the foliage and the plant itself instead of being particaned into the flower stalk. Although, I don't know how effective it can be.

if i remember right, i heard that flower stalk wont waste that much energy. dont know if its for sundew or for some other CPs

I like the flowers, so I let them go until the seed pods form.

WHY WASTE THE SEEDS??!! The plant will probably be ok anyway!

for my binatas, i let them flower, and after they're done in a couple weeks, i cut up the stalks and put them in the water.
they sprout up plantlets that take off like crazy---2x faster than normal leaf cuttings.
later,
Aaron

put them in tea.

There are two stalks from the same plant. Assuming they continue and open up flowers. Don't I need stalks from from two different plants or will it work with two stalks from the same plant?

it depends what dew you're talking about. Many self-pollinate on their own, and it seems that not too many dews require pollination from a genetically different plant.

I cut the D. lanata stalks off. This Complex of sundews requires two different plants to be flowering. The D. burmannii self-pollinates, so I'm letting that one do its thing.

It pretty much depends on the species. With short-lived species like D. brevifolia and D. capillaris you want seed to make sure you always have some plants.

A couple years ago I went in on a trade to get D. brevifolia seeds (also D. trinervia & cuneifolia)). I received a typical packet of seeds and sowed them. It didn't seem as though there were a tremndous amount of seeds in the packet, but it sure seemed as though every seed germinated! Anyhoo, I had a good colony of them... but none ever flowered for me. And slowly but surely, they started dying off. I'm guessing that was because they were annuals?. But there are a couple young plants in there and they didn't come from seeds. Do they also propogate, vegetatively?

Could be, or they could be slow germinators. I don't remember if I sent you any of the "Hampton, NC" seeds. Those are beauts. No flowers yet, but they're annual/biannuals so maybe next year.

I don't know enough about them... or any of the 3 I went in on. D. trinervia is certainly a rough one to germinate!

D. trinervia are supposed to be very slow germinators, like many of the tuberous so you might have to wait a year or two. And the seedlings aren't supposed to like flooding so don't top water. Other than that, that's all I know about the seedlings. Not all went dormant in my pot so I didn't cut out watering and the ones that went dormant seemed to come back. So they may not need bone dry conditions for dormancy.

Back