What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews in Strange Places - Cat Mountain, NY

Hi all,

I did a hike up Cat Mountain on the shores of Lake George, NY. I live nearby and hadn't hiked it yet. The trail to the top is 3 1/4 miles, the first 2.5 are generally flat, an old logging road. Not where you'd expect to see any carnivorous plants.

Imagine my surprise as I noticed, on the side of the road, a huge patch of Drosera rotundifolia! I almost couldn't believe it. This was sandy, gravelly soil - but not particularly wet at all, no springs/wet areas anywhere near it, and they were mixed in with other wildflowers. Here are some photos. Have any of you ever seen sundews in such a non-traditional place?

Jeremy

Here is the road - sundews mixed in with the wildflowers/other plants on the right.
catroad.jpg

Sundews
catsundew2.jpg

Closeup
catsundew1.jpg

View from the top towards the narrows of Lake George. No sundews up here.
catviewsummit.jpg

awesome! that's a pleasant surprise! anytime i go on a hike anywhere, i always look for carnivorous plants, although so far i haven't been as lucky as you. :(

Cool, did you see anything else.

Amazing! It's get pretty cold in the Adirondacks! Just shows ya what a temperate sundew (D. rotundifolia) can take. Now I wonder is there are any in the Plattsburgh, area, where I webt to school.

Hmm this really shows that they can grow in the most unexpected areas. Thanks for sharin.

Excellent post. I love to see places like that, where something grows where you would just never expect it. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you all like the photos! Its a beautiful hike too if any of you come up to Lake George.

There were no other carnivorous plants, but about 1/2 mile before I found them there was a marshy area, with lots of sphagnum. I searched that, but could not find anything. Doesn't mean they weren't hidden somewhere up there.

There are other swampy/boggy areas within 10-20miles - my best guess is that some birds or other animals dropped some seeds in this spot, and they grew.

This area is about 25 miles away from a post several weeks ago I did on my trip to Lens Lake.

Jeremy

Back