What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binata flower

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
01370018.jpg

01370019.jpg

composition, composition, composition

nice, very nice
Butch

Better looking than my old pic!

s_Wed_084.jpg

That is an incredible photo. You still use film don't you? I think I saw in thread you mention developing. An incredible lost art.

Yep, still use film. I don't even own a digital camera and just borrow my sisters little point-n-shoot once in a great while.

I no longer develop my own film although I have most of my equipment to do so. I just drop it off at the Costco one hour and have the negatives scanned to CD along with prints. Beats doing it myself. I have a real low end film scanner that does a good job but the software isn't that great. I could buy the Silverfast software but the money would probably be better spent upgrading the scanner.

Any touch ups I do in Photoshop. The automatic film processors actually do a pretty good job with exposure and color balance. If not I can always go back to the negative.

Film is still my medium too. I have too much gear to stop, but when I've gone to pick up cheapo film for non-serious shooting at Sam's Club, I learned that they're not carrying it anymore.

To get the same lens ranges plus a digital body...ouch. I'm going to just have to cling to the ol' dinosaur. I remember the annoyance of airport security going to Hawaii when I insisted on hand checking all 45 or so rolls of film. You can't get that level of security screener annoyance with digital!

I usually take the film cassettes out of the cannisters and put them in a clear plastic bag. I hand that to the security droid and they usually just eyeball it and pass it through. The cannisters go in another bag in luggage with the caps off.

Yep, still use film. I don't even own a digital camera and just borrow my sisters little point-n-shoot once in a great while.

I no longer develop my own film although I have most of my equipment to do so. I just drop it off at the Costco one hour and have the negatives scanned to CD along with prints. Beats doing it myself. I have a real low end film scanner that does a good job but the software isn't that great. I could buy the Silverfast software but the money would probably be better spent upgrading the scanner.

Any touch ups I do in Photoshop. The automatic film processors actually do a pretty good job with exposure and color balance. If not I can always go back to the negative.

You would definitely be better off buying a new scanner with a negative adapter. It would come with the software you'd need.

If you need photo editing software, just download GIMP. It's a freeware image editing program that's pretty damn good.

Anyone notice that D. Binata flowers look very similar to Venus Fly Trap flowers?

i didn't notice. still don't!

Great pictures!

My binatas have all flowered at least once this summer, to my delight. Unfortunately, they also stopped producing new leaves. There are one or two left on one stalk, the other one is empty with no new shoots showing in the center. Should I have cut the flowers off and not allowed them to flower so much? Are my binatas dead now?

They have probably gone dormant early. D. binata dies down to the root when this happens. Cut back the watering and wait and see.

D. binata is pretty resilient, so even if this was more than a response to photoperiod and temperature cues, they may not be dead. BTW, if you need replacements, I have plenty left over from my recent trading post offering.

They have probably gone dormant early. D. binata dies down to the root when this happens. Cut back the watering and wait and see.

Ohhh. Thanks for the advice. How will I be able to tell the difference between dormant and dead?

Sometimes a bit of growth remains, sort of a winter bud. Otherwise you just have to wait and see if it starts growing again. Don't toss out the pot. As long as you keep the pot from freezing or too wet it should be okay. As noted before D. binata is very resilient. If not, I have some more seeds on the way.

Back