Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I get huge dew?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah light is important, but its actually humidity that determines the size of the dew. Under lower humidity the dew drops will be smaller but it will have a lot more hold, with an increase in humidity the dew should become larger but have less hold.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    yeah light is important, but its actually humidity that determines the size of the dew. Under lower humidity the dew drops will be smaller but it will have a lot more hold, with an increase in humidity the dew should become larger but have less hold.
    Not to be a cynical, but is that something you've observed or is that something you've read, or is it something theorized? The reason why I asked is that these plants were all at window sills, open tray, in air conditioned rooms, where the moisture in the air was continually sucked out.

These weren't in AC but the room was hot and dry when these pics were taken:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    uhhhhhhhhhhh.................no....................ive got experience to prove me right, what yah got? ive got capensis and binata growing in a room that has 15% humidity and lower, both plants are plenty big enough that the micro climate of the soil surface has no influence on the leaves 6-10 inches away from the soil.......yet they are dripping with dew cause they sit in a south facing picture window.......now im guessing since your in Oregon, you never have to worry bout low humidity.....now couple that with the fact you aint been growing that long....and why should we take your word ofver Jim's and mine.....ive grown dews in everything from a saturated environment in a terrarium to humidity so low day in and day out it makes your skin crack if you aint used to it.......i can say with 100% certainty that dew production is 99% the result of how much light yah give the plants and not much else.........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I wanted to grow my highland nep. burbidgeae with the sundews, in high humidity and drops down to around 55 at night but do you think that they should just be in separate areas?
    Also, if the plants are really close to the lights (4-6 inches), won't the heat burn them if there isnt any glass?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't grown this particular Nep but I would keep them in separate environments. 4-6" is generally a good distance from plant to artificial light and there shouldn't be any heat generated by the light, assuming you are using fluorescent lighting. Which sundews do you have? Some are tropical. Some are sub-tropical. Some are temperate. Depending upon what they need is the best determinant as to whether they can be kept together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If those fluorescent tubes are hot to the touch, something's wrong. In my ideal setup, every plant would be exactly one millimeter from the light at all times, provided they had room to produce new leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the sundews are subtropical are sub tropical. I really liked the shelf idea where the plants are just on a shelf with a light over them (no tank) but I was wondering if there is enough humidity for highland nepenthes this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm - I glanced through the replies and think I need to disagree w/ the responses (or at least qualify them as possibly being overly simplistic).

Typically a healthy Drosera will produce significant quantities of dew. If they didn't do that in nature, they'd be unable to perform their function and be at a disadvantage to their brethren. The replies that I noticed (such as strong light, air circulation, humidity, etc) can all contribute to the plant's health but may not be the determining factor in how healthy a plant is. Since many dews grow in open sunny areas, strong light is often a factor in their health but some plants may need add'l factors like high temps or high humidity or possibly even the correct combinations of these or other factors.

To state that changing any one factor is the holy grail for determining dew production for D. arcturi, D. lanata, D. linearis, D. schizandra, D. regia, etc would seem to be misleading. Finding the specific requirements to fit each plant's needs is what we try to do in growing them. Dew production is one characteristic than often provides us an insight into a plant's health / 'happiness'.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast