Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I get huge dew?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see...
    are 40 watt T12 tubes sufficient for my plants? do I want T12 or 8,? or do I need to get compact lighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alec View Post
    the sundews are subtropical are sub tropical. I really liked the shelf idea where the plants are just on a shelf with a light over them (no tank) but I was wondering if there is enough humidity for highland nepenthes this way.
    Many highland nepenthes can be easily adjusted to lower than natural humidity. What species (drosera and nepenthes) are you trying to grow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWurm View Post
    Many highland nepenthes can be easily adjusted to lower than natural humidity. What species (drosera and nepenthes) are you trying to grow?
    drosera: hilaris, aliceae, venusta, hamiltonii, slackii, admirabilis
    Nepenthes: burbidgeae... dont have any more highland, but anything that's not ultra high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your nep should do fine in you can provide a night time temperature drop for it.

As for the dews, i did a little research, D. hamiltonii has a reputation for being pretty hard to make dewy. So don't be surprised if that one always looks a little pathetic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alec - how long have you had your dews? I ask because when I first got mine, it took a good month or so for them to settle in and adjust to my conditions before they dewed up. They looked very dry for that first month. Now, they dew like crazy! I keep them under a couple 40 watt t12's that you were talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had them for about a year. I am in the middle of switching grow areas and my plants declined- It was the light. I'm going to get some T12s and grow on a rack instead of a tank.
    I'll post a pic when its done. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A subject near and dear to the heart! Yes, it is light indeed that is the prime factor. Most Drosera are as light hungry as cacti. Often, in terraria this is an issue from the glass itself limiting the usable spectrum; another consideration regarding the use of artificial lighting is the age of the light tubes which become less effective over time and need replacing long before they burn out. As for humidity being a cause for larger size, I think not except possibly from etiolation d/t the aforementioned light issues. Nutrition is also important and indoor plants rely on you to provide this. Try blood worm meal, and mist lightly after feeding. The best and largest sundews I grew were put outdoors for the warm months after gradual acclimzation to sunlight. You need to go slowly to avoid sunburn. All in all, the closer you can place the plants to their natural habitat conditions, and the more you can maximize ideal condions as regards nighttime temp. drops, water and substrate purity, seasonal requirements like rest after flowering and etc!, the better and larger the results will be.

Plants also benefit from a hands off position so provided they are doing well, leave them be where they are happy.

addendum: another factor concerns the roots which need room to grow without hinderance from compaction. As grow the roots, so grows the plant. The health of the roots is essential and in general the bigger the pot the better. Annual repotting is also beneficial and sort of acts like restarting your computer.
    Last edited by Tamlin Dawnstar; 02-05-2009 at 02:14 AM. Reason: addendum
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamlin Dawnstar View Post
    Annual repotting is also beneficial and sort of acts like restarting your computer.

Ain't THAT the truth.........

I'm gonna get that put on a T-shirt.

A good re-boot clears up a lot of problems.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast