Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I get huge dew?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I get huge dew?

I have a bunch of sundews, they are in a tank with temps 60-90 F and high humidity. two florescent tubes on 16hr photoperiod.
    My sundews are not producing alot of dew like many of the pics i have seen- and my slackii is producing almost none.
    A while ago I moved a couple plants outside and they made more dew than normal.
    does anyone know the defining factor here? do they need cooler temps/more air circulation, more light?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more light...in most cases this is the cause...humidity can also play a role in dew production
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Light is definitely the defining factor. The plants should be as close as possible to the lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    light is the deciding factor........sundews will produce dew in extreamly low humidity if they get good light.........

also with very few exception sundews need good air circulation.....they grow fine in a tray set up and low humidity so long as their roots stay damp-wet........as a newbie i killed lots more sundews to low air circulation by locking them up in a terrarium than to any other cause....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, I have a tank with a bunch of sundews in it. right now they really dont get too much circulation -lowland conditions almost. Should I remover the cover - seems like it would lose a lot of light.
    should I put a fan in with them? or should I just put circulation holes in the cover?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "A picture is worth a thousand words". These are in a closet, under s fluorescent shoplite:

And these are on a rack, next to sliding glass doors:

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn the tank on its side. Lights go on what is now the top.

If you have tropical species that like the warmth and high humidity you can get some plexiglass to close off some of the opening.

Or prop the cover open slightly to improve air circulation.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get more light if you don't have glass between the plants and the bulbs/tubes. Also, you don't need the tank at all; the only sundews I can think of that typically need terrarium culture would be the petiolaris-complex 'dews. Even then, you probably don't need a tight-fitting lid. All of my tropical sundews grow in pretty much ambient household conditions - humidity 25-65%, temps 60 to 80F. My D. petiolaris and lanata are the two exceptions to that; they live in an open tank adjacent to my lowland Neps and receive a little extra radiant heat as a result. (I try not to let them get any lower than 70F.) A large bulk of my tropical sundews are actually still outside right now for summer; humidity rarely goes over 40% during the day and the nighttime low is about 45 or 50F. They're all doing fine - I've even managed to get root cuttings to bud under these conditions.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast