What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hiding out in my Sarr pot, you sneaky thing...

Today I had my S. leuco at school for a thing in art [was just drawing it, basically]. I was sitting inspecting it before class started and lo and behold, in the corner I saw this:

Sundew2.png

Sundew1.png

I was transplanting the leuco today anyway because the flimsy pot was falling apart, so I put it in a separate pot. Here is my current setup:

Setup.png

In the plastic shoebox: S. x Dana's Delight, unknown Drosera
Next to that: Dionaea Typical
In front: S. leucophylla

My parents store their grill stuff here, so excuse the mess.

What species do you suppose it is?

most likely a capensis, but D. alicae (or another easy rosseted species), and D. binata are also possibilties, as they are the three that most often turn into weeds.

looks nothing like capensis or binata.............my money is on spatulata

I was thinking spatulata too... we'll see as it grows!

seeing as it is such a young seedling, it is very hard to tell what species it is. Good luck with it though!

I wonder if it was even there when I bought the leuco, or if it sprouted later and blended in with the sphagnum until now... hm. It is pretty healthy-looking though, isn't it? Heehee.

May be Rotundifolia too

seeing as it is such a young seedling, it is very hard to tell what species it is. Good luck with it though!

pretty easy to tell it aint capensis or binata though............

Most "bonus" drosera I have seen come in with the long fibre spagnum moss I buy to pot my plants...most LFS comes from Canada or the northern US..therefore the odds are good (if it came with the LFS) that its D. intermedia or D. rotundifolia, since those are natives of northern spagnum bogs..and the photo seems to match those.

of course, if it came with the Leucophylla, it could be anything!
whatever might have been growing in the greenhouse/nursery the leuco came from..

Scot

i found d. alicae in one of my capensis pots :)

The sphagnum came with the leuco on Sept. 13, so I haven't a clue, but the leuco is from a private grower, I suppose, rather than a nursery - I bought this plant at a VERY small CP show held at the botanical gardens in St. Louis. They had maybe 20-30 plants there tops of all species, not counting the extra VFTs he had under the table [he had a LOT of VFTs!]. He WAS selling Drosera though, of a few different species, but I couldn't tell you what, as I passed over them in favor of the sarrs.

I had two drosera seedlings in my D.binata pot the seedlings looked like yours and after I repot the d.binata and unkown drosera seeding in seperate pots now and the seedling had a burst of growth from the new peat well mine turned out to be a D.capensis the round part with the tenticles got more slender as it got bigger though really yours could be anything I'm guessing either a D.capensis or D.spatulata since it's been repotted I'm sure the seedling will start to grow quicker.

Back