What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Definition of "root shock"

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So this year I was finally able to crack the enigma of Drosophyllum and had a great plant growing. And then, last evening as I was boxing up some of my Neps for transport to the lab, I bumped the pot and sent it off the deck railing. 4m down...

We all know root shock kills Drosophyllum so I am just waiting to watch my poor plant die

So mad!!

I feel your pain! Let us know how it goes.

This does remind me of an experience from 4 years ago. Copper (Rose Witt) sent out a bunch of B. liniflora seedlings to various hobbyist. She packed the plant well.... a little too well! It had so much tape on it that I struggled to open the plastic container. By the time I did, the plant flung out of the container, onto the floor. I quickly rescued the plant and got it saturated soil media, covered up. Apparently, B. liniflora doesn't subscribe to the 2 second rule. The plant was toast!

Man, I can bump a pygmy sundew and have it die!

We all know root shock kills Drosophyllum so I am just waiting to watch my poor plant die

I got a Drosophyllum maybe two months ago(?) from the BACPS meeting about 2 hours north from me. 1.5 hours of that drive is full of ******** who either a) can't drive or b) are actively trying to kill themselves by causing accidents.

On my way home, (to make a long story short) a guy zooms in front of me, pulls in to my lane on the highway, and slams on his brakes in an attempt to freak me out, or peeve me off (can you say road rage??) I had no idea how hard he was breaking so I stomped the brakes pretty hard. Alas, my Drosphyllum pot went a-flying.

I stopped at a gas station maybe 45 minutes later and saw that the plant had been completely ejected from the pot and there was media everywhere. Most of the nice leaves were covered in dirt. I turned it back upright, carefully placed everything back in the pot as best I could...

And today it's doing fine. Better, in fact, than when I got it.

While your fall surely had a lot more oomph behind it, I like to think that there's still hope. Best of luck!

I hope you are right Est. Right now I just look at all the perlite and sand and APS on the leaves and I keep telling myself it'll be okay despite being ugly.

I think there's a good chance so long as you cover the roots and don't touch it. A good rain will wash most of the stuff off the leaves. I grew about seven of these guys in one large pot for almost two years and they were much more durable than I expected. They only kicked it when I had to bring them in for winter and couldn't light them properly (they were like 18 inches tall in a 15-inch-tall pot, what a pain.) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
~Joe

A good friend of mine knocked his pot of Drosophyllum over (smashed pot, scattered media, the whole traumatic 9 yards) several times and it never affected it- it eventually succumbed to the well-meaning care of his parents whilst he was on vacation

I would say keep yer fingers crossed and listen to metal near the plant, should be fine

Hey Carl,

Will punk work instead of metal? LOL

Ahh! that sucks. How big/old is the plant? I know it's only 3 days.. but hows it looking so far? You haven't mentioned it looks worse, so it probably looks about the same which is surely good.
andrew

No change yet but I figured it would take a little while to do anything good or bad so...

Time will tell

So, it's been a few weeks since the fact. Any change?

It is still growing so I am guessing I lucked out. But I am knocking on wood as I say that LOL

Status? *knocks on wood for you* :p

Still growing :) And still the larger of the two plants. :)

Back