What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Adelae...no dew.

NaRnAr

Ive got Crabs!
So its time to ask because whether this dew will have dew has become hit or miss varying daily.

Ive had it for a couple months, when I got it it was flowering and I cut the stalks off. It was dewy and full of gnats in its little cube. Now, its replanted, in a widow that gets around 6 hours of sun and then indirect sun for the rest of the day.

Now its flowering but there is no dew on any of the plants...there are 6 or so of them, with the largest sending up a flower stalk.

Could it be a humidity issue? I keep it watered well, when its cup drys I let it sit for a day and then refill it.

Keep it in standing water at all times. Mine took 2 months to dew up after getting it in the mail. You have to play with the light levels to see what makes it happy but generally these don't like a lot of light. 6 hours maybe too much.

ive had D. Adelae in my minibogs outside since May, i need to move em in cause its getting cold, but they grow like mad in the full sun they get, and are dewy as all hell.....they just stay compact when in full sun rather than getting huge....so im thinking something along the lines of the plant adjusting to the windowsill....do what NaN said and keep it standing in water

D. adelae is also a rather enigmatic plant, with many viewing in the same light as P. primuliflora. Follow Notanumber's advice. Generally speaking, if the root of the plant is healthy, it will send out roundleafed plantlets. Don't change the conditions too much or often and let the plant acclimate. And if it looks dead... it may not be.

I also agree with Jim Scott and Notanumber, but have always taken a different approach with my D. Adelae. I also find this plant very finicky, and have found that once a leaf loses its dew, it has a hard time bringing it back. It replaces leaves rather quickly, so you could just wait for new leaves to pop up. I prefer the hack it down method. If the plant is looking rather crappy, I usually just cut the entire thing off, down to the roots. It may sound harsh, but this plant is really resilient. Keep it in the same conditions for about a month or so, and you should begin to see little plantlets popping up out of old stumps and roots. It's actually really cool to watch the process. And it seems once they come back, they are even more vigorous then before! This plant has also been known to play opossum, and appear dead, but really just be, lazy?

Back when I grew them, or rather before I neglected them and they all died, I had a colony of adelae in a terrarium. Started with just one and ended up with about 30 of them, choking most of my other dews. They were getting about 16 hours a day of 100W light from around 10 inches away. They were very very dewy. The temp in the terrarium got up to 35C, and that didn't bother them. They would change colors too - green to red to green again. Flowered, but no seeds :) Once I started feeding them blood worms once in a while, they went on a growing spree, taking over the whole thing... I also noticed that once they "ate" the worm, those hairs involved never got dewy again...
So yeah, best thing is to leave it alone and let it acclimate, keep it in enough water.

Here's how things looked a few months before the plants decided to dieback:

thIMG_0027.jpg

I removed the surface material and found plantlets underneath.

Alrighty, I will keep it in standing water more often. I have been letting it drink up all the water, let it sit for a day or so and then replenish it.

I might try the "hack it off" method with few of the smaller ones. I too am finding that once they dew and lose it, it never dews again...its usually the smaller newer leaves that I see dew on and then the next day its gone. The main plant is about 4-5 inches tall and the smaller ones range from 1-3 inches I think.

Here in a month it will be moving to a new home/window so hopefully I dont shock it too bad! (and the ping, thats now happy! gah!)

Honestly, my experience with Drosera adelae has been an easy one. Quite simply, I feel it is by far the easiest plant I have to grow... even easier than Drosera capensis. They grow like a weed for me and I now have about 8 of them. Just keep it in a tray of water and give it decent light. I cannot relate to windowsill growing, as all of my plants grow under 6 T12 bulbs.

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks Baylor :) It seems to be happy to an extent in the window...its grown quite a bit since I got it, new leaves all the time and the large one is sending up flowers. *shrugs* Just no dew. I watered it this morning, and found a bigger water cup for it to sit in, hopefully here in a bit it will start to be the beautiful dewy plant I picked up!! :)

I've always treated D. adelae and P. primuliflora the same way - water when nearly empty and not as concerned about lighting. They both seem to need deeper and wider environs. I've also had the full spectrum of success and failure with them both.

the container seems deep, but Ill have to either find a pic or take one when I get home and see what you all think :)

Back