Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what do they do for 3 weeks?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what do they do for 3 weeks?

I know that sundew species vary in terms of germination, but a lot of them do seem to take ~3 weeks. What exactly are they doing during that time? Why do they wait that long? What's going with the seedcoat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During that time, the seeds detect prolonged conditions suitable for growth.
    Hormones are released, the seed shell is broken and the growth begins.
    Light is not necessary (at least I don't think so) until the seed breaks. Then it is needed for the new plant to determine which way is up and down (where the light is is up, so leaves go that way (up), no light - the plant is confused and grows wherever it happens to go). Then it is needed for photosynthesis and growth.
    No light = white plants (no chlorophyll), poor growth. Roots will still go down though because of gravity and the medium.
    That's what I think... if i remember correctly...
    It is hard to always be a human being... people get in the way.

An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimka View Post
    Light is not necessary (at least I don't think so) until the seed breaks. Then it is needed for the new plant to determine which way is up and down (where the light is is up, so leaves go that way (up), no light - the plant is confused and grows wherever it happens to go).
    light doesn't help the plant distinguishing what's up and what's down, gravity does.
    Finer in 09'er

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever seen plants that grew with no light or light pointing from different directions every day? I have, they look like thread dropped on a floor, not to mention they are white. Who cares anyway. Light is not necessary for germination is my point.

An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That answers the question in the other topic. What factors determine whether it should germinate? Heat? Moisture? Photoperiod? Day/night differential?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the species light is necessary for germination. If you read the Ellison studies on Sarracenia seed germination only the seeds receiving a photoperiod germinated. The seeds kept in the dark did not germinate. I posted links to online versions of these studies early in the Sarracenia section.

To insure the hisghest rate of survival seeds are not going to germinate until minimums of temperature, moisture and (for some) light levels.

The general rule seems to be higher humidity and warmer temperatures facilitate germination. That's why there are so many propagation kits with humidity domes and heat pads. The seedling heating pad I have has a chart of optimal soil temperatures for many popular garden plants (tomatoes, onions, lettuce, various flowers).

There are exceptions of course. The Drosera capillaris "long arm" seeds I have tend not to germinate in high humidity and do better uncovered.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the humidity and temp thing going, for sure. They are all in pots, open tray, with plastic cups on top, by the window. The window allows the sun to created a mini-greenhouse effect and the cups are moist with dew. But then they decrease their temps when the sun isn't shining. But that's like nature, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is sarra seeds. I honestly do not think light is that necessary for drosera.
    The point of cold germination (in the fridge) is to simulate winter. Cold, dark, moist (just like under the snow). After they are taken out, it is like the spring after the winter, seeds feel it and start growing. Of course some will grow without it too, but less seeds will germinate because they are waiting for the winter.
    I think the photo period has something to do with heat. Since sunlight transmits heat via radiation, and seeds have no photosensitive parts on the outside. Maybe they respond to prolonged heat then? As light time increases, they are in warm temps for longer, meaning the summer is coming. And when these conditions last long enough, that means it is time to grow since spring/summer is here.

- Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast