Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: drosera x hybrida dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drosera x hybrida dormancy

so, my D. x hybrida is slipping into dormancy after giving it a shorter photoperiod under fluorescent lights- it's making a hybernacula that looks exactly like D. intermedia. I heard for D. intermedia and other temperates that they need a cold dormancy period, but i was wondering if anyone's ever tried leaving them out in the normal temps (75F or so) over winter w/ any success. The only reason I ask is that there are many small plantlets that formed from the leaves and are spread throughout the pot. I don't really want to disturb them.
    If not, I guess I can take all the tiny plantlets out and replant them in another pot, but that's not my idea of a good time ( ;
    Thanks for any tips you can give me,
    Aaron
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The closest I've ever had anything like that was when my plants were in an upper apartment at the lab in which I worked. I saw my D. binata, filiformis, and intermedia go into dormancy, the latter two forming a hibernaculum, during December and January. Then they came out of it. They were definitely responding more to the reduced photoperiod because the temps didn't get lower than the 60's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... maybe i'll attemp to leave it out then. Yeah, temps never get lower than 75F in the room i'm growing them in, so you're definitely right about it only being a photoperiod response for some of these plants.
    Thanks for the response,
    Aaron
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!