What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. montana germination

Hello CPers!

I have a question about my drosera montana. This year they started to flower for the first time and I would like to get some seeds. Is this species self-fertile or do i need another drosera for successful pollination? These two in the pictures are from the same mother.
Also, what is the germinability? Anyone has practical experience? Thanx. Here's picture:

DSCF0003-2.jpg

Sorry, I don't know much about this complex. They may be self-fertile but not self-pollinating.

I suggest you try pollinating by hand. "Selfing" some flowers and cross-pollinating between plants with others. Mark which is which by tying a bit of different colored thread around the flower stems.

NaN: Thanx that is a good idea I will play with the flowers then just to make sure (or increasing the chance) of getting some seeds out of them. Thanx:)

I would say probably not self pollinating as my own never had seed develop. I just let them go on their own. You might have better luck with hand pollinating like NAN suggested.

Back