What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woolly cross questions

DrWurm

Californian in DC
So, I spent a little time over the past few weeks hand crossing D. lanata with D. kenneallyi. I don't think the lanata pods are ready for harvesting just yet but i pulled off a few of the kenne pods and got a somewhat small, but still decent yield of seeds.

So first question, are lanata and kenneallyi self fertile? If that's the case, should I be worried about having mixed seed results?

Second, will the seeds produced on the kenne be different than those produced on lanata?

I wouldn't know if they are self fertile, but I do know that you will get some variability between the seeds from the different mother plants.

-Ben

As far as I know none of the Petiolaris complex dews are self fertile. They require two different clones to produce seeds.

Crystal is correct, none of the petiolaris are self fertile.

As for the question of parent influence on offspring. I have never noticed that reciprocal crosses yield drastically different progeny so I do not think there is a significant parental influence. However, I have found that the general variability in the seed is sometimes rather extreme so you could get a few weird surprises.

well, at least that means i successfully made some hybrid seeds, even if it was a small yield. This should be interesting.

However, I have found that the general variability in the seed is sometimes rather extreme so you could get a few weird surprises.
One of the very cool things about growing any plant from seed. The potential for some variant is worth the wait.... :boogie:

sorry to bring this back, but I only had 1 D. falconeri that flowered and produced seeds.
It seems that everyone here is saying that petiolaris sundews are infertile, so does this mean that it D. falconerii is self-fertile, or that the seeds will not grow if planted?
Otherwise, could it be that it crossed w/ a non-petiolaris sundew in bloom?

Tamlin said in another thread that once in a blue moon you get lucky and plants that are normally not self-pollinating will produce seeds.

Unless you had a pollinator (e.g. nectar/pollen attracted insects or human agent) it is highly unlikely that they were cross-pollinated with some other species let alone compatible chromosome counts. However anything is possible. Only you can answer what else was flowering at the same time in your growing area.

Sow the seeds and see what happens.

there can always be oddballs that pop up that dont conform to the rules........kiwi's as a rule have male and female plants like nepenthes however the cultivar 'Issa' is self fertile.......99% of apples out there require 2 different cultivars to set fruit but there are a couple of varieties that are self fertile same with pears....Schisandra chinensis is supposed to have male and female flowers on seperate plants but the cultivar 'Eastern Prince' will set fruit with no other S. chinensis around...its generally accepted that D. binata is self infertile but lots of ppl comment that occasionally they have seedlings show up with no other explanation other than their single clone had to have produced a few viable seeds.....so sometimes individual plants will bend or break the normal rules for the species or group.....

that's pretty interesting. The reason I thought it might have been cross-pollinated is that I grew D. falconeri outdoors with about 20 or so other cps this summer. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would've been flowering at the same time besides D. capensis or different forms of D. binata. hope i don't end up killing them all, but I'll try starting them soon. I'm guessing it's the same story as Tamlin's, but we'll see.
Thanks for the help

Hello All,
In my years of growing Petiolaris-complex Drosera, I've never seen them auto-pollinate, but i guess nothing is impossible! Check my prior post if you'd like a peek of what your cross may look like...

Good luck and Happy Growing,
Brian.

yeah its unlikely but far from impossible.....

sorry to bring this back, but I only had 1 D. falconeri that flowered and produced seeds.
It seems that everyone here is saying that petiolaris sundews are infertile, so does this mean that it D. falconerii is self-fertile, or that the seeds will not grow if planted?
I know of one long-term petio grower who swears that there is at least one self-fertile petio. I forget which one it was but it wasn't falconeri (I think it was one location of D. paradoxa). If you got seed - it's definitely worth planting to see what comes up.

Curious what your D. falconeri seeds look like?

I checked the packet again and found the 2 black, ovalish-shaped seeds that had fallen out of the stalk on their own. I then tried extracting more seeds from the rest of the capsules, and a brown circular seed-looking thing was the only thing I ended up with. So it makes me wonder how 2 legit seeds fell from the stalk on their own, but there were none left in the capsules. I planted the 3 (or 2) seeds today, so we'll see what happens.

I certainly have found random seeds (always in small quantity) in dried blooms of Petiolaris dews, but I have always associated it with fungus gnat/mosquitoe pollination in my tank full of Petio.'s. I have not ever gotten one of these to germinate.

And as soon as my D. lanata opens up another flower I will be attempting to apply D. falconeri pollen to the stamen.

And as soon as my D. lanata opens up another flower I will be attempting to apply D. falconeri pollen to the stamen.
.... or stigma... :poke:

Hey PAK - I was going to link to your flower pic (w/ parts labelled) - but the pic is gone... :scratch:

I certainly have found random seeds (always in small quantity) in dried blooms of Petiolaris dews, but I have always associated it with fungus gnat/mosquitoe pollination in my tank full of Petio.'s. I have not ever gotten one of these to germinate.

I'm not expecting much in that case. My backyard is mosquito haven due to a creek that runs in the backyard, so that sounds very possible. If only I had a couple hundred more cps...
but we'll see what happens.

.... or stigma... :poke:

Hey PAK - I was going to link to your flower pic (w/ parts labelled) - but the pic is gone... :scratch:

My bad.
flower-part.jpg

http://www.cactus-art.biz/images/clip_art/flower-part.jpg

Back