What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

leaf cutting won't root

all of my drosera leaf cuttings turn red and dry up.
are they getting too much light?
i put them on peat/perlite under, but really close to my 40watt t-12 growlights with the rest of my drosera.
could it be that they are not moist enough?
Thanks
o yeah, I did not use a dome/bag humididy is around 50 to 60 %

Probably dried up. I would go with water instead of soil, IMO

should the water be changed if it gets murky or do i leave it ?

I wouldn't see why it would get murky o.o

Change the water weekly or as soon as you see algae growth.

It's probably better to cover your cuttings, but see which works best for you.

I'm guessing that you haven't seen this thread. While I still sometimes use LFS (w/ high humidity) to propagate, you get a lot more plants with water propagation. I've used this with D. binata, filiformis, capensis, ascendens, x hybrida (& probably others I'm forgetting).

I've had leaves turn brown and then root. It seems like every time you do leaf cuttings, you think you've failed before leaflets suddenly pop up.

I often take this approach to leaf cuttings:

IMG_0014.jpg

But also do well with this kind of thing:

PipetteDispenserContainer.jpg

Just imagine slightly moist media with seeds sprinkled on top, with the lid closed.

I also do this for seeds and gemmae:

DSCF1715.jpg

really nice thread!
i'm definetly going to try this.
and threads on drosera root cuttings that i dont know about haha?

really nice thread!
i'm definetly going to try this.
and threads on drosera root cuttings that i dont know about haha?
Probably. :poke: :-D I know Joseph Clemons has started some on how he propagates D. regia from root cuttings - which are very informative.

As Andrew has in his signature, the search function is really a powerful tool. Before I start growing a new plant (or family of plants), I try to allocate some significant time on Terra, CPUK, ICPS & possibly the Neps forum (haven't spent much time on Aidan's place yet). Frequently, you'll learn about stuff that's important but you'd never heard about before. Sometimes, I'll even PM folks on follow-up questions when a post has been dead for over a year (I did quite a bit of that when I researched petios...).

Back