What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. kenealleyi Help

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've had this group of plants since September and the leaves pictured here have since died and are being replaced by many new leaves. None have dew right now.

DSCF1727.jpg

Don't know how I missed this but there's a 1.5" flower stalk in there. The plants in the pot have no dew, but there are several emerging leaves. The plants are obviously not happy while the lanatas, paradoxas, and the ordensis x paradoxa are all doing well.

DSCF1715.jpg

The pot is partially in 95 F water with a Grolite 2" above it, with a sand and peat mix and LFS on top. Do you keep it wetter or drier or have more or less light, higher or lower? Should I cut the flower scape? Eventually, I'll have an updated pic.

Beats me... I have a reverse of your problem. My kenealeyii is dewy while lanta in the next pot is not... Right now they are getting about 5 hours of sunlight + 8 hours of CFL from 3 inches away. Temps ranging from 70 to about 95 with 1" water in the tray.
I noticed that putting a clear plastic cup on it helps a lot, but as soon as it goes off - its all dry :(

Jim,

Honestly, that plant to me looks happy enough, just not dewy. At a guess I am going to say your heater has been running more often these past few months which results in the air being drier so even the local humidity around the plants is not enough to keep the plant super dewy. Not a huge thing, I would not stress it over much.

Hey Jim, looks pretty good it does have dew just not alot, i noticed with mine alot of the older leafs die back when all the new leafs emerge, i just trim the dead leafs off from time to time, also mine likes STRONG light, it dont care to sit in alot of water, i normaly let the water go dry for a day befour re adding more water i have also noticed it does better in certain spots in my grow chamber and gets mad at me when i move it elsewhere. Temps well into the high 80's along with HIGH humidity and Strong light have worked best for me. Try taking a clear deli bowl that fits right over the top of your pot, dont use the whole bowl turn it upside down cut the lower bottom half off so as to make a wall rim outa the bowl and place that over the top of your pot, you wont be closing it in just creating a small wall around the leafs only with the whole top wide open, you will notice better dew with that and strong light. They also dont like being repotted and get pretty fussy when it comes that time which mine is right now because i repotted it and moved it to a diffrent spot in the grow chamber, guess im gona have to move it back to where it was once again..:blush: You got anything else in the potting mix other than just sand and peat?

That picture is about a month old. All those dewy leaves have died back and many new ones are replacing them. Only a few are open at the moment and none have dew. The Grolite is 1.5" above the plants. The pot is 4" tall and 4" wide and the mix is sand and peat, with a layer of LFS on top. The water level varies from nothing to ~3/4". It's putting out new leaves, but none have dew on them as yet. Seems I've had that before with Petiolaris and a days later the dew appears. Lemme check the recycle to see what I find!

I've had several D. kennealleyis. I could never grow them so I traded or gave them away. I have grown D. lanata with much more success. My D. lanata plants would be all dewy and fast growing/flowering while in the same conditions D. kenneallyi would be droopy and sad. I couldn't figure it out. Hope you figure yours out but if not Jim your not alone.

Your petiolaris look great to me!

I've had several D. kennealleyis. I could never grow them so I traded or gave them away. I have grown D. lanata with much more success. My D. lanata plants would be all dewy and fast growing/flowering while in the same conditions D. kenneallyi would be droopy and sad. I couldn't figure it out. Hope you figure yours out but if not Jim your not alone.

Your petiolaris look great to me!

That's exactly my experience! Gotta figure something out, though. I trimmed the old leaves and snipped the scape. I'm looking for something to provide a little more moisture (deli bowl). There appears to be two plants in there and strong emerging leaves, so hopefully it will do better.

The lanatas and paradoxas are the easiest to grow, as is the cross between a paradoxa and ordensis. Would ove to get straight up ordensis again. Just tossed my remaining falconeri. I think they like it wet, but I'm not sure.

I trimmed the old leaves and flower scape. There are still numerous new ones emerging.

100_0485.jpg

Wow, it looks kinda like a vft.

I hope it pulls through!

Wow, it looks kinda like a vft.

LOL, I thought the same. I've heard that Dionaea is related to Drosera, so Idk.

Back