Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: how to get gemmae?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple weeks ago I gave 3 of my pygmy pots away to co-workers, but not before starting fresh gemmae in new pots. So in about 6 months, I'll have new flowers and pictures for ID. All I have left of the old pots are the nitidula-omissa and carburup. I gave away the ones labeled ericksoniae and allantostigma. I do remember my one kid accidently knocking pots to the floor and one pot losing it's tag entirely. We'll see what things look like in 2009. At least one can't screw up scorpioides, pulchella, and callistos!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've started new batches of a couple of mine, the pots are infested with Utricularia bisquamata or brittle from age. One was labeled "pygmaea" but appears to be x Lake Badgerup. I make note of the old label along with new just in case.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I gave away one of the pots of Drosera scorpioides and moved the non-producer into its spot a couple weeks ago. It is producing gemmae. While not conclusive evidence it is compelling support of Tamlin's observartions.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So weird. I moved my lamp with the Gro-Light away from the Pygmys and towards the cuttings, and now I'm seeing little... mini-branches coming out of the center of my pygmys. The Scrop is the one that I'm mostly noticing those on, it's top is kind bulging up with lots of fuzz and the branches that are appearing are kind of... intertwining with each other and are much smaller than normal. The other ones are either just not doing anything or getting dozens of little curled up branches not coming out.

Pretty sure the others are gemmaes, the lack of a gro-light means colder and less light. They look generally like how I'd expect them to look. How can I tell when they're ready for pulling off? I'd rather use like a toothpick than dribbling water and hoping they land someplace safe.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcantrell View Post
    How can I tell when they're ready for pulling off? I'd rather use like a toothpick than dribbling water and hoping they land someplace safe.
    If they come loose easily to a slight pressure from the toothpick, then they're ready. If you have to force them, they aren't quite ready. I use to loosen them up with a toothpick and suck them into a piece of coffee filter on the end of a straw. Got tired of chapped lips and hyperventilating . Now I carefully tip the pot sideways over a large piece of paper or a small newspaper and use a tooth pick to nudge the loose gemmae off. It doesn't work as well on the small scale shape gemmae but is great for scorpioides and dichrosepala.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully someone reads this and can respond, without me making a new thread. Over the past few days I have been slowly trying to reduce the photo period on my pot of pygmies. This is difficult as I am only using grow-lights, and literally have to move the plants somewhere else. Right now I'm just setting the pot under my night stand, but there is still some ambient light reaching the pot. Would complete darkness provide greater benefit?
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From an article Tamlin wrote a while back, he mentioned that a pygmy grower had no success w/ gemmae until he realized there was a street light on all night that was shining through his window. Once he provided complete darkness, he was able to get gemmae to form. It may depend on the type of pygmies you're growing...
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OTOH, all of the new sprouts reflective of my plants, came from gemmae that have been exposed to nightlites, every single evening. Go figure...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast