Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera Filiformis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh, now I'm worried about my outside plants.

My schedule right now has me going to work at 7, which is before it really gets warm. I am worried doing something like bringing in my plants to my apartment (which I keep at around 60F) for the night would shock them to death -- so maybe the Florida All Red form is my best bet if I want a Filiformis.

Right now it is 27 degrees out according to Weather Underground -- I do not have a thermometer on my deck, but will be getting on ASAP, I would presume it's slightly warmer due to it being right next to a building and in a nook.

Basing my temperature plans on the previous winter:
    Dec 07 Jan 08 Feb 08

It looks like the temperature won't get TOO much worse than what it's at right now. The occasional night in the teens (and day in the teens too, ack), but nothing horrid -- except for the cold snaps in the single digits, which would probably be lethal.

Perhaps the prudent thing to do would be to keep an eye out for that and in the event of something like that, bring the plants into the fridge until it passes?

So other than mulching, are there any other countermeasures for this sorta thing? My deck has a power outlet, I could put a heat pad under my plants (and I have one to use, too), but am loathe to do so for safety concerns. Would bigger pots help even out the heat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my D. filiformis inside under lights. They routinely go dormant with reduced photoperiod and slightly cooler temps every fall. Same for D. intermedia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So WeatherUnderground says it's 25 degrees out right now, my newly connected thermometer with outdoor sensor says it's... 40.

So 15 degree difference, although I'll certainly need to watch that closer to see if it keeps that difference up -- if so, then those temperatures in the single digits become almost manageable temperatures in the mid 20s.

I have slowed my waterings because their soils are more or less frozen. Should I keep them watered as normal, or will that cause them ice/frost problems? I know that in my home town of Yakima, WA they would use ice to freeze Apple Trees to winterize them -- not sure on the theory behind that, but think that might be something I could use?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut back on the watering. Having the soil freeze solid around the plant is not good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Truncata View Post
    Cut back on the watering. Having the soil freeze solid around the plant is not good.
    Interesting statement. While I don't really know either way - I know I lost most plants that were over-wintered above-ground outside & even some in a in-ground bog.

My Sarrs have been over-wintered in an unheated garage for at least the past 5 years. Most years, the media is frozen through Jan-Feb (some years - constantly frozen, others - on & off). I believe that it was Dave Evans (either on listserver or one of the forums) that stated that dessication is the actual cause of winter Sarr deaths. Since he wrote that, I periodically check the pots & trays in the garage & water when they're kinda dry looking (apologies for the precise technical terms).

Winter is a scary time for my Sarr collection. Although I've only lost one large leuco (to Botrytis) in the years of garage over-wintering (and that was in my 1st year), I can't help but feel that this winter may be "the one".
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, Lately I've been watering about once every 3 days, and only if it's above freezing out. Is that too frequent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the plants are dormant with hibernacula watering (and even light) isn't much of an issue as there is very little uptake. Too wet can lead to rot.

I think cold conditions assist in maintaining dormancy, but photoperiod is the primary factor. I've had plants stay dormant at room temps. if plants are kept on short day photoperiod. Treat them like VFT's of Pitcher Plants and you'll be fine.

'California Sunset' is WIN!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now the sensor I have outside says it's 24F, it's about a foot away from my plants on the wall. Weather Underground thinks it's 12F out. There's some snow on the ground but none on the plants. Haven't had time to find mulch of any kind, unfortunately.

I wonder if just keeping them on the windowsill would work, if all they need is photoperiod. I have no lighting setup right now, outside of a single 60W bulb helping keep the Pygmys alive (although I think I could ditch it at this point). The window only gets direct sunlight for a few hours, from say noon to 5 or so. Lots of indirect light however.

I have not had time to test the temperatures in the room / window / etc, It could very well be that directly up against the glass it's cold enough to provide dormancy without killing anything. I rather hope not, as about 6 inches from the window is my Monkey Cup, my Cape Sundews, etc etc.

Tamlin -- why is 'California Sunset' win, btw? I know very little of it, except that it's supposed to be somewhat cold hardy.

Edit: I just read on The Carnivorous Plant FAQ that D. Filiformis has been found as far north as New Jersey, which is mostly Zone 6 (like my area)... I'd hate to buy a plant in dormancy, but maybe I'm overthinking this and should just buy a few plants and see if they make it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast