Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drosera Filiformis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found D'Amato's cultivar to be both robust and beautiful...very well named as the colors are more orangish vs red.

24F is pretty cold for the species. The windowsill might work, but I have never experimented like that so it is a risk to your plant. Another option might be to use a syyrofoam cooler as a sort of cold frame. I've heard of D. filiformis returning in the spring in well mulched bogs with temps being in the teens in winter, so perhaps the cooler would function in the same manner. Again, an untested hypothesis although a worthy experiment!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did someone say 'experiment'?

Anyhoo, if you have leaves, I would propogate as many as possible through cuttings... and then try different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still testing out the cuttings thing right now, actually, I have 2 leaves (4 cuttings total) of my original Cape Sundew -- my first Carnivorous Plant -- in a translucent box of pure water. They've been there for a week and haven't done anything yet -- but it's a bit colder (65-70) than it should be. I moved my 60W desk-gro-light over on top of that one (away from the pygmys and cape sundews), which should warm them up a bit and provide more light.

I will have to move it back in a day or two if the Sundews lose their dew -- it very well may be that the Sundews et all are only surviving that close to the window because of the extra heat from the lamp -- I have kept the heat off in the new apartment since moving in, so the average temperature has been in the mid 60s in the house...

I am also thinking of putting a heat mat under them which would take them to 85ish, but I am hesitant to do so. Maybe in another week or two if nothing happens.

Maybe that's the thing to try, buy it in spring and take cuttings, and just try one in the window and one on the porch.

Cold frame is an interesting idea, too. So, just get a styrofoam cooler and put the pots in that (elevated until they're even with the sides of the box, of course)? That sounds like it might work, except my Pitcher Plants are in a big pot that would require a huge styrofoam setup.

A certain Ranch sells Styrofoam planters, I wonder if those would work well for keeping plants from freezing to death...

The deck does have a power outlet so I could, in theory, put the plants on top of a heat mat, but I am loathe to do so -- both because of the fire hazard and the electricity usage. I would rather not have to "cheat" to keep plants alive, if that makes any sense.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A heat mat would be good for other plants but not necessary for D. filiformis cuttings. Room temp is fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um.

So according to Weatherunderground, it's currently 9 out. Not 29, not 19... Nine. According to my thermostat, the sensor outside is 14 degrees. Granted, this is an unusually cold winter apparently, but, yeah, kinda kills the Filiformis idea, I think.

It's probably too late to save them, but should I consider bringing in the smaller pots (VFT and my "ressurected" S. Purpurpea) and putting them in the fridge for winter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So a little update on my conditions.

I got a new outdoor thermometer thingy, one of those fancy remote ones that you just put the sensor outside and the receiver sits on your wall/desk/etc.

It hit 8F next to my Sarracenia a week or two back. I went out to discover two of my pots have shattered, one bowl shaped one (with a S. Purpurpea inside) has a cracked rim, my shiny yellow planter with a plastic potted VFT typical inside, well, the bottom half stayed behind when I picked it up yesterday.

However, since I have the remote sensor thing now, I moved my existing wired thermometer to my bedroom, where my window is. The window hits around 65-70 during the height of the day (with the heater on), but during the night it drops down significantly -- I saw it down to 44 this morning when I woke up.

Would that windowsill be cold enough to provide dormancy for S. Filiformis / Dionaea muscipula / etc?

Looking at the temperatures of Wilmington, NC, it's about that temperature there, maybe 10 degrees colder. In theory I could crack the window and drop the temperature drop a touch lower, too, but my Cape Sundews and Nepenthes is pretty close to that window still, so... Kinda a balancing game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Drosera Filiformis arrived yesterday. It's just a dormant bud right now. Here in Florida, when should I expect it to start growing?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123