Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera Filiformis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera Filiformis

I am thinking about picking up one of these, as I hear they're about as tall a Drosera as you can get without going for one of the infamous Tuberous ones (which I doubt I have the experience needed to keep alive). (Although re-reading Savage Garden has me thinking D. dichotoma 'giant' might be worth getting too.)

However, I am a bit worried about picking one up, as I do not know if I have the conditions needed to grow them successfully. According to the ICPS Seedbank, there are about 3 or 4 types:

D. Filiformis Filiformis 'Typical'
    D. Filiformis Filiformis 'Florida All Red'
    D. Filiformis Filiformis 'Florida Giant'
    D. Filiformis tracyi

I did see a hybrid on a certain store and mentioned in "Savage Garden":

D. Filiformis x 'California Sunset'

From what I understand, the 'tracyi' is the largest, growing up to 2 feet tall, but has white dew not red. The "Florida All Red" does not go into Hibernation without extreme conditions forcing it to, whereas the Typical and Florida Giant both end up going dormant in winter. Supposedly, the Canifornia Sunset is pretty cold tolerant as well.

I suppose my question is, I figure the Florida All Red would be ok for a Window plant, as my Cape Sundews et all are surviving just fine. However, in Zone 5 - 6 (Twin Falls ID 83301), would any of these survive the winter outside for dormancy?

Right now it is 38 degrees out and will hit the mid 30s overnight. Later this week we'll see a high of 40 and a low of 27 on the coldest day. Looking at WeatherUnderground's history, if 2008 was any indication of 2009, January and Febuary I should expect to see highs of mid 20s to 30s (and lows in the teens) turning into 40-50 highs and 20-30 lows in early Febuary.

In other words, cold. Would any of these Filiformis survive in my area as an outside plant, with or without protection of some kind? Heck, thinking about it, should I start worrying about my Sarracenias and Dionaeas that are outside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would give a thumps up on trying it out. I wouldn't grow it on a windowsill. If you're worried if it'll get too cold, mulch it. Or, when you get snow, you can use that like mulch. Same with the Sarrs and VFTs.

Edit: The only plants I'd worry about are the Florida varieties, but again, mulching it would help.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mulching or moving the plants to a garage or shed during winter helps, or using the fridge method

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can really only speak for the California Sunset variety. Starting out as a leaf cutting

I grew this on a window sill

It went dormant for December and January and woke up in February. The following summer it flowered.

It does fine as a window sill plant but can go outside for most of the year. I would treat similarly to a VFT or Sarracenia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, most of the plants I want to get will be put outside when temperatures permit, my Tropicals nonwithstanding.

It's just right now we're still at 0 inches of rain or snow for the past few months, temperatures below freezing, etc etc. Pretty much really cold and dry.

What is a good mulch to use? Would frozen LFS work?

Unfortunately I am in an apartment so no Garage et all to move them to. However, they are in an nook on very small (5x5' or so) deck, so they are protected from the worst of it. Apartment life is taking some getting used to, not having space for more plants is driving me nuts!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where we used to live we had an attic by a window. That was perfect. We moved and I've farmed my temperates to a co-worker with a garage (and window). That worked out well last year, so I'm doing it again this year. You can mulch but I think the big bales of sphagnum peat, along with pine needles is your best bet. Do a search on the forum for a member called Wildbill. He keeps his temperates outside all year long and has an excellent illustration, pictoral and written.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My D. filiformis var. tracyi grows like a weed for me. I am very proud and fond of it. It does go dormant in late November in my area, and is able to withstand temps at around the freezing point. When it gets lower than 28F or 27F, I move it to my unheated garage.

Mulching or moving it somewhere that is a bit warmer during those very cold nights will be the way to go.

See THIS for possible ideas on mulching.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcantrell View Post
    I am thinking about picking up one of these, as I hear they're about as tall a Drosera as you can get without going for one of the infamous Tuberous ones (which I doubt I have the experience needed to keep alive). (Although re-reading Savage Garden has me thinking D. dichotoma 'giant' might be worth getting too.)
    Any of the D. binata group are robust plants - well suited for a windowsill.

I suppose my question is, I figure the Florida All Red would be ok for a Window plant, as my Cape Sundews et all are surviving just fine. However, in Zone 5 - 6 (Twin Falls ID 83301), would any of these survive the winter outside for dormancy?
    The all-red might work ok as a windowsill plant over the winter. All of mine died last winter when left with the Sarrs in our unheated garage. This year I brought some inside to help keep the fungus gnats under control. So far, they're thriving.

In other words, cold. Would any of these Filiformis survive in my area as an outside plant, with or without protection of some kind? Heck, thinking about it, should I start worrying about my Sarracenias and Dionaeas that are outside?
    IMHO, D. filiformis filiformis - typical form is your best bet as a companion plant for your Sarrs & VFTs. It is very hardy and produces copious amounts of seed. Most of your plants will probably survive but if they don't, there will always be a bunch of young volunteers from the seed to take over. The 'tracyi' can be touchy overwintering. When I had my bog - they never made it through the winter.

As for the Sarrs & VFTs, you may have an issue (especially w/ above-ground pots). Most of my Sarrs made it through the winter (in the 'bog') but I typically lost a few also - usually the rarer clones. My VFTs mostly died over winter. A few survived but were often in a weakened state from the cold, low humidity or frost heaving. In the years I mulched with pine needles, the mice set up residence and attacked many of the plants. I don't know that they really enjoyed them - but rather seemed to chew them up out of boredom. When I originally tried to keep above-ground pots (or kiddie wading pools) over winter, most of the Sarrs & VFTs died - except the purps.

I am in zone 6 - but a cold spot for our area. I have read of others in similar or colder areas having success w/ outdoor bogs. I suspect that people with fewer mice and significant pine mulch would probably have success. I currently overwinter my Sarrs in an unheated garage and VFTs in a cool basement under lights.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast