What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. intermedia germination in Dec?

I just noticed that my D. intermedia seeds have germinated through no fault of my own. I merely dispersed them around the mother plant when it went dormant a couple of months ago. The container is an outdoor mini-bog containing Sarrs and VFTs. I was quite surprised this afternoon when I saw the tiny seedlings poking up through the LFS. I hope they survive the next three months under the window in my garage before being moved back outside. Anyone else have experience with seedlings of this species?

Yes, but I've sprouted them inside. I don't think they can take Colorado cold if it gets to be freezing.

That's what I was afraid of. Let's hope the garage continues to remain ice free this winter.

Is the garage attached, as in does it draw heat from the house or is it separately heated? Which variety of intermedia are they - Cuba or a more temperated type?

The garage is attached to the house and receives mid-day and afternoon sun. The temperature is almost always in the 30's or higher when I leave for work in the mornings even though the outside temps are often well below freezing. The plant is the more temperate variety.

Then it may be just fine.

I hope so. These seedings and the Ping we chatted about earlier (it's still doing fine) are my two concerns for my first winter with temperate CP's. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Plus, I'm already looking forward to the spring when everyone "wakes up."

I'm more concerned about the P. primuliflora.

Its encouraging to have someone nearby who has similar plants to what I have/are germinating. :)

I have some D. intermedia as well, but I just planted them. They are indoors in a 10g tank however. I wish I had saved some to try out side.

Im happy your ping is still doing well...hopefully the oncoming (theoretically) snow will not harm it. I think mine got too cold in the window and paired with root rot it bit the dust.

I too am looking forward to spring, purely to see everything come back, I kind of miss them...although I say hi to my VFTs and Sarrs everytime I get something to eat ;)

Back